The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power steering resevoir 1 one for the technical bods urgent advice needed

lui

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE AS THIS IS DOING MY HEAD IN

Does the power steering reseroir cap got to be a air tight fit & not leak in any air once tighted

Due to now I have fitted 2 power steering pumps & both failed within 30 miles.

Once fitting power steering pump & bleed sytem everything was fine & all working perfect but once out on the road within 25 - 30 miles packed up again.

Checked power steering reservoir cap on spare tank to discover when blocking off one feed to tank fitting piece of tube to other end & securing cap on top by blowing down the tube discovered air coming through cap.

I reckon if air escaping through cap while driving along would put air back into system causing this problem.

Main question is should the power steering resevior cap have air tight seal once tightened up

And if cap is not air tight would it leak air into power steering system

Many Thanks Lui

I have had quite a bit of first hand experience with this problem.

Sounds like your fluid is done, if so it will wreck the pumps and ruin the seals in the rack.

I have a spare PAS pump somewhere if you need it.

Having suffered the effects of overheating 10 year old fluid, I can assure you it will piss out when the pressure is on, and ruin your pump quickly. If a rack seal goes then you loose the ability to steer in one direction, and that could cost you your life.

Drain the system, remove the rack and wash it out properly as when the pump dies small plastic bits travel through the system and stick in the rack. Personally I'd have it checked by someone with good experience in PAS racks. then rebuild and fit new fluid.

Good luck!

OH yeah and PAS system has a pressure cap, bit like a radiator idea. Under stress it will let the fluid out.

Like i said my cap does not seal properly & i have tested this so if it does not make air tight seal will this cause air to get into system ???????????

Anyway going to fit another PAS pump complete with new resevior cap that DOES NOT LEAK air & hope that this will cure the problem as I personally thinks that's it the dodgy not fully sealing cap thats causing all the problems :eyebrows: ;)

As ive tested my cap & 500% it's leaking air & not fully sealing resovior tank & on this it's letting air back into system causing this stupid problem

You need some breathing with the cap, have you ever noticed how much the level varies when the rack is turned from lock to lock?, the reservoir is designed to stop the fluid splashing out on corners. As I said before, It's a bit like your rad cap in ways. If it's under pressure it has to breath.

• 2 months later...
I have had quite a bit of first hand experience with this problem.

Sounds like your fluid is done, if so it will wreck the pumps and ruin the seals in the rack.

I have a spare PAS pump somewhere if you need it.

Having suffered the effects of overheating 10 year old fluid, I can assure you it will piss out when the pressure is on, and ruin your pump quickly. If a rack seal goes then you loose the ability to steer in one direction, and that could cost you your life.

Drain the system, remove the rack and wash it out properly as when the pump dies small plastic bits travel through the system and stick in the rack. Personally I'd have it checked by someone with good experience in PAS racks. then rebuild and fit new fluid.

Good luck!

Hi there, do you still have the pump available?

how much?

cheers

I think I still have that pump in my garage, £80 plus post.

I think thats cheap, I had a german ask me 600euro for a s/h one, and I had Paul E ask me about £160 for a s/h one no warranty.

I gave £80 and will take £80. P.M. me if you want it.

Good price there grab it if you can :cool:

I think I still have that pump in my garage, £80 plus post.

I think thats cheap, I had a german ask me 600euro for a s/h one, and I had Paul E ask me about £160 for a s/h one no warranty.

I gave £80 and will take £80. P.M. me if you want it.

Hi there, how old is the pump?

p&p ?

cheers

• 4 months later...