The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery woes

pistonbroke

I was driving home today in the pouring rain and my wipers started going really slow across the screen, I was already aware that the battery was on its way out but thought I'd wait until next months payslip before forking out for a new one as I've spent this months Supra money on a TRD spoiler :D

So, I manage to get to a Halfords and serch for a battery, the terminals on my J spec Battery are tiny and there are no batteries in the store thats would fit, the guy reccomends I get the one recommended afor the UK spec Supra and change the terminals, fine I say, and purchase the parts.

Get the car back to mine and start the job, it turns out once you remove the old terminals there is not enough loom to reach the terminals on the new battery, bollox :(

I then ride my mountain bike to a car stereo shop and buy some of the thickest wire they do along with extensions, I get back to mine and it starts to rain, no problem I think, this shouldn't take long, (how wrong was I).

I fitted the new loom, was just tightening up the terminals and i drop one of the clamping nuts down onto the top of the undertray. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!.

So off comes the undertray at the front and I'm fishing around for about an hour for the nut, it turns out it fell on top of the intake pipe and was resting on it. Finally got it done though so its all good, i have however ruined a decent shirt, got crap all over a nice pair of jeans and have to spend at least an hour setting up my now reset stereo system, joy.

The one thing I've decided I don't like about the Supra is the blasted undertray, man, that thing sucks.

I did the same and bought a UK battery a few weeks ago and then decided 'bollox' to changing termials etc, so took it back. They do a battery with smaller terminals HB054 I think. Not as powerful, but no buggering about! Hopefully it will do OK over winter...

J

Jay, you have some bloody big birds around your way. :D

LOL !!

Jaymdee, is your an auto?

If so, they need the extra cranking power of the larger batteries. The smaller ones only went up to about 280 amps, you need at least 400 for an auto.

The battery which was in it for the last 3 years was 280A. This one is 370 I think. I'll see how I get on. If it feels weak, I'll get new terminals fitted at an electrical place - don't think my DIY skills are to be trusted with car electrics!!