The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Emission Requirements FAQ

Angarak

Would it be an idea to have an FAQ listing the known MOT emission requirements for various models of Supra's so that owners can pre-mot test their emissions to see if they need to re-cat, or replace a cat, etc to pass their MOT?

Having just passed the MOT this morning I have the emissions info for a 95 JDM TT.

emissions for cars will naturally vary anyway. i.e. you can't say that an n/a with one cat removed will have xx emissions and an n/a with both cats removed will have xx emissions.

also, the MOT testers could be given differing 'levels' to test at depending on what information they put into their machines (or at least that's what i understand) i.e. whether the machine says it's a non cat test or whatever

ps daston, it's generally considered that you'll pass with one cat removed but not two although this theory has been proven not to be 100% correct on a few occassions as the cats are obviously not the only factor to be considered.

emissions for cars will naturally vary anyway. i.e. you can't say that an n/a with one cat removed will have xx emissions and an n/a with both cats removed will have xx emissions.

I was on about listing the emission requirements, not my cars own emissions.

For example:

My 95 JDM TT was put in Test Class IV

Fast Idle Test:

Engine Speed: 2500-3000 Rpm

CO:

HC:

[some icon that looks like an upside down "Y"] 0.970 - 1.030

Natural Idle Test:

Engine Speed: 450-1500 Rpm

CO:

Say if you only have 1 cat in, you could take it to a garage to test the emissions before you go for your MOT to see if it meets the requirements above.

Just a thought anyway.

I was on about listing the emission requirements, not my cars own emissions.

yes, i know that. that's why the first part of my post was actually directed at Daston and the second part was a reply to your post.

i'm not knocking it mate, but it's not going to be 100% correct (as garages / DVLA do make mistakes) and very few people have the equipment to monitor their emissions as well so it'd have to go to a garage anyhow who would surely have the parameters already.

no offence meant :)

milk and one sugar mate :)

It may be cold by the time it gets to you :)

Daston:

I believe the 1st cat was mainly for the US market who require the cars emissions to be within a certain range from a cold start or something like that.

Lots of members on here have passed with just the 2nd Cat in. Other tips are clean air filter and 02 sensor(s).

What can I do about emissions if I fail? As my downpipe will remove my first cat so its not like I can just put it back in. Also will the first cat make it any louder? Sorry for going slighty off topic

you could well be fine with your second cat in mate, lots of members have passed with just this in. (i'm assuming it's still in there since you didn't mention that it's been removed)

the first cat being removed will make it louder, yes.

don't worry about going off topic, i've done that already lol.