PDA

View Full Version : Rear 6,5" enclosures

@lpher
09-05-03, 23:31
I cant seem to find the part numbers for the rear 6,5" sealed enclosures, so if anyone has 'em...nows the time to caugh 'em up ;-)

Ive seen a few pics of them...but all i can find on the EPC is the frontdoor ones....maybe ita a post 96-97 thing? ..cause my EPC is from 95...so that MIGHT be it....anyone?

Im stuck at the moment....without these items....so please....HEEEELP! ;-)

@lpher
'94 Supra TwinTurbo

Matt Harwood
10-05-03, 08:32
I've found them on 93 cars... I thought it was a GZ thing, but I saw some on an SZ the other day.
I believe they were part of the 'upgraded' audio system . So, any car with the sub in boot, should have them...
Sorry, couldn't tell you what the part numbers are though.

@lpher
10-05-03, 21:43
Originally posted by Matt Harwood
I've found them on 93 cars... I thought it was a GZ thing, but I saw some on an SZ the other day.
I believe they were part of the 'upgraded' audio system . So, any car with the sub in boot, should have them...
Sorry, couldn't tell you what the part numbers are though.

Thanxs for answering so quickly...hadnt though of that option ;-)

From what i can understand off the EPC, the 'upgrade' system wasnt available on the euroSupras.....US and japan option only?

What do you guys make out of this?
http://carfiche.com/jza80/4/b06.gif
Is the *DSP system the same as the upgraded system?

Looks like ill be contacting Toyota monday morning ;-)

@lpher

Ben-sanŽ
07-06-05, 10:44
Time to dig up an old post, sorry!

I've decided to replace the rear speakers with some spanking-new component Alpine R's (SPR-17LS). I knew that there would be some modification of the GZ's speaker enclosures, but I didn't expect that they were that complex to cut. Plus, I need to hide the crossovers somewhere...

:help: Does anyone have some advice on cutting the enclosures, or should I leave it to the experts? Any thoughts on mounting component tweeters in the rear?

Please help before I give up on my new alpines... :drown:

supRo
07-06-05, 14:38
edited: The following applies to the non enclosure type rears! just realized! :shrug:

The rears accept 6.5 inch speakers. They may be glued in as well as screwed. If they are glued in you need to remove the speaker housing thats bolted on by three bolts. The speaker wire looms unplug from the speaker and also the bottom of the housing. Placing the speaker housing on something a bit soft - top of a wheelie bin is good, bash the back of the old speakers with a hammer, especially the metal basket bit of the speaker. Then from the front, use the claw part of the hammer to prise the speaker out of the housing.
The stock speakers are also gripped on by two notches - you may need to drill these out so the new speakers sit properly. You may also need to drill a few new holes to screw the new speaker onto the housing.

Separate tweeters or components are not needed for the back - you can do it but it won't really improve sound up front.

Cheers,
Ro

Ben-sanŽ
07-06-05, 15:18
edited: The following applies to the non enclosure type rears! just realized! :shrug:

Lol, good info nonetheless Ro, mine weren't glued in and came out fine. Might bash and pry the old speakers for fun anyway.

Maybe I'll save those tweeters for the front and try to combine them with another pair of woofers instead. Might leave the hacking of the rear plastic enclosures to a pro if no one has any advice.

Thanks all the same! Anyone else? :stickpoke

Ben-sanŽ
09-06-05, 11:01
:tumble:

Ben-sanŽ
15-06-05, 11:18
:bump: