The mkiv Supra Owners Club

does this look right to you?

Ian W

while holding my phone to the top of my engine trying desperately to get someone who was going to tell me my engine wasn't about to implode (see thread in Tech section) i noticed this next to a bolt in the engine bay on the drivers side just down from the suspension top mount....

what do you guys think?

also, what the hell is this for.....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That bent bracket is supposed to be bolted down by that rusty looking bolt in your 2nd pic. I havent got a clue what it does though as its just bolted along the chassis leg

that can't be good. :(

anyone know what this is for? if anything?

that can't be good. :(

anyone know what this is for? if anything?

I have nothing connected to this either although mine is bolted down but i can't see why someone has felt the need to put a blob of weld next to that bolt.(it is weld isn't it?)

There are several of those 'C' shaped brackets in the engine bay and I don't have a clue what they are fore :( From my investigations (read 'poking about underneath') all I can work out is that they do nothing. They aren't thick/strong enough to provide additional rigidity/support and there is nothing under them/on the opposite side of the panel.

Chances are you could just remove them but I personally wouldn't until their exact purpose can be determined:)

I have nothing connected to this either although mine is bolted down but i can't see why someone has felt the need to put a blob of weld next to that bolt.(it is weld isn't it?)

looks like a blob of weld mate, yes. as you say, i've no idea why it would be there or why that 'bracket thingy' would be moved :blink:

I know I cant weld so I get someone else to do it!

Mine looks like Bird shite

lol, you mean like the photo above? :rolleyes: is this your handy work??? :D

anyway, does anyone have a clue what this brackety thing is for? or why the feck i'd have a piece of bird shite in my engine bay (and no jokes about it being dirty!!)

Ok I have just looked on mine, There is nothing attached to that bracket, however there is bracket comming from the third bolt back which supports a wire.

But remember mine is a UK so the Jspec may be differant.

:(

anyone with a jspec n/a care to take a peek?

anyone with a jspec n/a care to take a peek?

Already did mate :) :)

There are several of those 'C' shaped brackets in the engine bay and I don't have a clue what they are fore :( From my investigations (read 'poking about underneath') all I can work out is that they do nothing. They aren't thick/strong enough to provide additional rigidity/support and there is nothing under them/on the opposite side of the panel.

Chances are you could just remove them but I personally wouldn't until their exact purpose can be determined:)

Hello? Being serious by the way. The 'u shaped brackets' you're reffering to have two long captive bolts that go all the way through the chassis leg and come out underneath, where the front sub frame bolts up to them. By the looks of things the one welded up on your pic has been welded because the captive bracket has snapped off, therefore its been welded to make it captive again. But the one thats hanging off, mate that needs looking at asap.