The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What alarm??

Jim_1979

Ok...

First of all I just took out an insurance policy with Sky Insurance. I got the docs through the door today saying I needed to return certain documentation etc..... One being Proof of security.

It said...

"Theft cover is granted on the condition that your vehicle has a fitted and working approved security device. Your insureres require proof of purchase, fitting etc in order to extend theft cover. There is no theft cover without acceptable security proof"

So as my car currently has nae alarm whatsoever (try coming to steal it and I'll bash you!!... lol).

What is an approved security device?? Does it have to be a Cat1 alarm system fitted professionally??

I was looking on ebay and saw some decent 2way alarms with remote start and turbo timer features. Most of them alot cheaper than any of the decent Cat1 alarms.

Anyone?? :search:

but surely loads of people either don't have a cat1 alarm or don't have the certificate?

Unfortunately not fella. I think you will find that everyone here will have an approved alarm and has had to show a certificate.

Do turbo timers work with the toad ai606 alarm

Yeh mine does, jurgens installer did it tho so dont know if there's things you have to do to get turbo timer and toad working together!

Take your car to your nearest car audio/security place and im sure they will sort you out an alarm and certificate, or even some companies come out to you!

Yeh mine does, jurgens installer did it tho so dont know if there's things you have to do to get turbo timer and toad working together!

Take your car to your nearest car audio/security place and im sure they will sort you out an alarm and certificate, or even some companies come out to you!

How does that work? Press the alarm button, then when the engine stops the car automatically arms?

Hi mate, could you pm me with the price that Jurgen would charge for this on one of his imports as i might get one when mine arrives :)

How does that work? Press the alarm button, then when the engine stops the car automatically arms?

Nah, the doors/alarm wont lock till turbo timer turns the engine off. but the alarm will arm automatically after a while shud you forget or not be bothered to wait for turbo timer to stop!

Most decent insurance Co's just want a Cat 2 immobiliser fitted so the car is dead,

Thats all I have and my premuim is £297.00 Fully comp protected,

Its usually the companies that don't really want to insure these types of car that request a Cat 1 Alarm,

Although Scoobies / skylines etc most companies demand a tracker,

To be honest a Cat 2 is more than adequate, you just want the car immobilised,

I've had a few interesting discussions with insurance companies on this subject their view is as our cars are now getting classed as low replacement value , a Cat 2 with certificate is now usually all Insurance Co's want

Alarms ... do you take any notice of them ???

By then the damage is done anyway.. broken windows , ICE gone etc et etc so a bit pointless

the more important thing is the car is still there.. hence the immobiliser

totally agree with you there mate.

If someone hears a car alarm, most people ignore it. I was in Edinburgh in my old mr2 and the alarm was playing up. It kept going off etc while I was fiddling about inside the car. Not one person came up to me!

For all they know I could have been trying to steal the thing!