The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is buying a TT for 8 - 9k possible?

jeremyh

Hi all,

Will be in the market next January - February and looking to buy a TT.

Realistically, would it be possible to buy a TT for between 8 and 9k? If so, what sort of mileage/condition would I be expecting?

I've noticed there are lots of cheaper N/A's around, but coming from a Punto 1.2 I'm trying for something a wee bit faster...

Jez

Just to add that I will have a black TT auto for sale over the weekend. It is showing 35k miles and looking at the interior you would have to say that is correct. It has a few stone chips on th front and could benefit from a nice set of rims but it wll be way lower than 8k! ;)

With that budget in mind id be looking at the best you can buy TT auto, for a tt 6-speed on that budget id say you would be looking at higher mileage, perhaps worse condition ones than whats ideal.

NA's are still quick cars you know, i dont think you'd be that disapointed with one and you could get one for say 6k and save the rest. Having said that lots of Na owners crave a Turbo or two so you may find after a while of owning an NA you want more!

Considering I've never driven any kind of sports car, I'm definitely guessing an N/A would be a massive difference compared to a Punto!

The thing is I'd be driving around in it and wondering 'what if I'd bought the TT?'. On the other hand, I'm thinking is it worth saving some money and going for an N/A?

I'm not a speed demon, I'd just like something with a bit more spirit!

Na will feel fast, my TT is like a rocket ship to me, my previous car was about 120bhp, i was happily going for a NA until a TT came up, at the end of the day you get used to what sort of power you have at your right foot so it becomes the norm, then you crave for more thus why people have 600bhp singles and the likes!

Na will feel fast, my TT is like a rocket ship to me, my previous car was about 120bhp, i was happily going for a NA until a TT came up, at the end of the day you get used to what sort of power you have at your right foot so it becomes the norm, then you crave for more thus why people have 600bhp singles and the likes!

I agree, its human nature to always want the next best thing, I think your'll find the NA will have enough power to satisfy but test drive both and see if the difference is worth the extra money.

I played with the idea of a N/A first as a stepping stone but knew that once I got over the jump between FWD and RWD it would bug me that I could have got 'THE' coolest car on the road rather than one that just looked like it.

Im not knocking N/A owners (before I get destroyed) they are a wicked car and everyone has their own reasons for owning what they do, be it insurance cost, fuel economy, outright cost or a sense of self preservation.

I was worried when I picked my TT up, I had to drive 150 miles all the way home in the rain and it was the first time i'd driven that sort of car in that sort of weather. I was worried silly! It turned out to be a piece of cake as long I didn't drive like a wally.

There are so many variants out there and everyone has their preference, turbo/non turbo, manual/auto, aero/hard top.

Try several different types before you buy, make sure you have a drive before you buy it and take someone with you who knows what to look out for.

My recommendation though... twin turbo all the way :D