The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SLD's / converting km to miles - n00b questions

Pabs

Hey all

Am I right in assuming that most imported supras will have the converted odometers etc, either using an SLD or similar?

Reason I ask is that a lot of people advertise their car as having done XXXX km and the last XXXX being miles..... seems like without proof on paper these figures could be easily "adjusted" by the seller to make it sound better.....

Is there a way you can adjust the odometer etc so the reading it gives is just 100% miles rather than km? I'm assuming you'd have to replace a lot of bits to do this though....thats if it is possible.

And in which case, i'm assuming it is possible to install an SLD but leave all readings in km....?

Cheers

Careful.

SLD = Speed Limit Defencer - this takes off the limiter.

Not all SLDs are also speed convertors. Many now do combine the function into one unit, but I just thought I'd clear that up.

First thing an importer usually does is install a (cheap) speed convertor, often not a delimiter one. Depends on the importer.

Ordinarily this will mean the Jap paperwork will show xxx km, then read in miles from there on.

The digital odo can be adjusted by someone that knows what they're doing - but if you've got the required paperwork to confirm the kms then this makes me feel the car is more honest.

thanks Pete - I did kinda grasp that not all SLD's are speed converters, but i didnt really state that in my post (oops)

I just thought it'd make more sense to me to have a readout that was entirely in miles, rather than part miles and part km.. its a minor niggle, thats all.