The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fmic on an n/a

Dave

this may or may not have been asked before just done a search cant find nadda ,ok just been out for a blast in the supe and i put a direct air feed from the outside to the filter in the summer well now its nice and cold 2nite the response is amazing in 2nd at 2k revs .so WHY cant i put an fmic on my n/a OR CAN I ????.would it make a difference and it looks good comments pls :rolleyes:

this may or may not have been asked before just done a search cant find nadda ,ok just been out for a blast in the supe and i put a direct air feed from the outside to the filter in the summer well now its nice and cold 2nite the response is amazing in 2nd at 2k revs .so WHY cant i put an fmic on my n/a OR CAN I ????.would it make a difference and it looks good comments pls :rolleyes:

becuase you have no charge temps to bring down as there is no turbo.....so in short no :(

i know i dont have a TURBO what im asking is will an fmic cool down the outside air going into the engine any better than a cold feed pipe or does it only work with the compressed air from a turbo ??? does the turbo force air through the fmic to be cooled down before going into the engine?so i assume one end of the pipe is on the turbo goes through the fmic then into the engine is that right.

I would imagine that an FMIC and associated pipework on an N/A engine would be counter-productive since, although the charge might be cold, it would need pulling through a labarynth of pipes and chambers, possibly slowing down it's passage and creating negative presure.

On a turbo engine the air is forced through the pipework by the tubby.

Make sense or am I talking bollox?? :) :)

An FMIC cools down the air in the turbo system - you don't have an intercooler because you don't have a turbo.

I think you're getting confused - the cold air coming into your airfilter is the only air intake into your car, which is why the theory behind a cold-feed pipe to the filter states you'd get more power.

You can't replace your air-intake with an FMIC...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercooler

the intercooler is used to cool down the air *after* it's been through the turbo(s), which heat it up, therefore you have no need to run it through an intercooler as it's only just come through the air filter anyway, which was the outside temperature (unless your air filter is sucking in air from the engine bay)

you want to look into Nitrous perhaps?

i know i dont have a TURBO what im asking is will an fmic cool down the outside air going into the engine any better than a cold feed pipe or does it only work with the compressed air from a turbo ???

When are is Compressed it generates heat, and warmer air is less dense than colder air, this is why an intercooler is used on a Turbo/Supercharged vehicle, putting one on your N/A would be a waste of time as the air entering the air filter won't be heated much by the time it reaches the intake manifold.

Your best bet would be a filter designed to combat the temp of the air coming in (like a BMC CDA) or locating the filter further away from the engine to compensate heat soak (possiblly where the standard I/C is on a TT) of course a stock airbox and filter are pretty well shielded anyway.

thanks guys for your comments i understand the principle of the fmic now cause i havent got a turbo you dont need to know how these things work so i thought i would just ask some people who do.seemed like a good idea at the time .did consider nos but too expensive too keep refilling.ill keep saving for my tt

An intercooler is basically just an air to air radiator. In order for it to work it has to have two different temperatures. The air in a turbo charged car is warmer than atmospheric because compressing air heats it up. On an N/A It would work nicely if you had a CO2 sprayer on the outside of the intercooler effectively aircon reducing the temperature in the intake.

Just done the same on mine (cold air feed that is)

Made a nice polished Ally Heat sheid in engine bay

Then i was a bit of creative

1x house Gutter pipe "coupler "sprayed silver ( makes end of pipe look pretty below o/s indicator)

1x flexi pipe ( enters in engine bay where pipe on TT would)

1x more coupler sprayed silver on other end of flexi pipe by Air filter

2x large Hose clips from B&Q

All that for a tenner and looks a puropose built kit

oh and yes before you ask I did get a blue peter badge as a kid!! ha ha

Know what you mean about the cold air feed

The difference when you put a cold pipe on is quite amazing, you'd never think something so simple would have such an effect, particularly at night,

The NA seems to really respond well to an Induction kit, providing that is you do the sheilds and pipes,

The change in mine when i fitted the HKS kit was unbelievable, but i have a full 5in jp Trail system too so that helps..

did this go on before you got your exhuast system?? if it did, change back to the stock air box and see the difference again ;) bet you dont go back to your HKS shroom ;)

Car came with System

I have put the stock air filter back on and the car uses more fuel and is not as responsive even with a new element in, quite gutless compared to the HKS .

With the HKS kit and now the cold Air feed the car flys

Starts around 4k then you hit the magic NA 5500rpm (Which is when they come on cam ) and she flys,

I have a Manual car though although the book says nothing in it with a Auto , i've driven quite a few NA's as my friend has been importing Jap now for around 13 years, to date i've not driven one as quick as mine..

So a little bit of playing has been done back home in Japan I suspect, it came with a dyno read out of 250bhp

Strange thing is though i still get around 36 mpg out of it on long runs (average 80 - 100) and 26 round town

Car came with System

I have put the stock air filter back on and the car uses more fuel and is not as responsive even with a new element in, quite gutless compared to the HKS .

With the HKS kit and now the cold Air feed the car flys

Starts around 4k then you hit the magic NA 5500rpm (Which is when they come on cam ) and she flys,

I have a Manual car though although the book says nothing in it with a Auto , i've driven quite a few NA's as my friend has been importing Jap now for around 13 years, to date i've not driven one as quick as mine..

So a little bit of playing has been done back home in Japan I suspect, it came with a dyno read out of 250bhp

Strange thing is though i still get around 36 mpg out of it on long runs (average 80 - 100) and 26 round town

so you've got an extra 25-30bhp from just a filter and the exhaust from the stock 220/225bhp? any idea what could have been done in Japan to it? that's about 20bhp more than most people get, might be worth another dyno?

and whats the size of your exhaust pipe (all through out)

I too have devised a different intake system and am pleased how it performs.

Last time I was at Santa Pod I bought a huge conical filter, cant remeber what make it was, but it was really big in comparison to the HKS and usual universal stuff you see at shows etc.

I then connected this direct to the throttle housing using a length of flexible ally ventilator tube about 100mm in diameter. Had to make up a sleeve to increase the diameter of the throttle housing to provide a good seal to the tube, and used a rubber flange from a crappy universal filter I had lying around which was fitted to my old Bmw 635.

The tube is nice and shiny and therefore should reflect the heat pretty well, although I do intend to make up a heat sheild also when time permits. The filter itself sits where the oriiginal air box used to live and that has cold air blown directly into the cone part from the air inlet tube that used to feed the lower intake on the original air box. Also I have left the cold air intake box from just above the rad in place and extend the tube from this so it also blows cold air over the main part of the filter. TBH I dont think it has increased power, but it does seem to have made a difference to the overall power range and torque. It seems to have much more pulling power between 3500 and 5000 rpm than before. Interestingly my son's scooby was off the road and he borrowed the Supra to get to work (as he does often) and he called me when he got to work to find out what I had done to it as he noticed the difference straight away. He always complained that after driving his scooby mine seemed slow and gutless until he hit 5K+. So it wasnt just me who thought it was better. Tomorrow I have mine booked in for full decat and a bespoke S/S exhaust so looking foward to that.

so you've got an extra 25-30bhp from just a filter and the exhaust from the stock 220/225bhp? any idea what could have been done in Japan to it? that's about 20bhp more than most people get, might be worth another dyno?

and whats the size of your exhaust pipe (all through out)

The exhaust has a 5in tailpipe and I would guess the system is 2.5 - 3in its a Trail system

I reckon its possibily had some cam work as well as may be a little fettling with ECU, But i've not really checked that far into things, Maybe even larger injectors ( although doubt it as MPG is so good)

Half the problem is the cars aren't set up properly (Timing etc) poor plugs etc etc

They say 220 bhp but most have around 225 - 230 std if set up properly according to info i've heard from Japan and with good fuel

Personally though I will change the HKS Mushrpoom filter to a bigger Stainless Cone type as the HKS has a bad reputation for filteration .

I'm trying to find someone who makes a polished pipe ( to replace whats left of the standard plastic pipe to the throttle housing) i've been told as it has those resornator baffle boxes etc it is quite restrictive .. and looks awful ,

But it might be a custom job as you need outlets for the 2x vac pipes

Most manufactuers seem to be a little out on their figures,

Japs have the gentlemens agreement of 280bhp... everything has 280 bhp according to them Skylines . Scoobies etc but in realility they have more

Mazda are so out on the 0-60 of the RX8 its much quicker than their figs, and the service software upgrade you get takes you above the quoted 231bhp ( although they come with 240 - 250 anyway)