The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Never again!

DamanC

Urghghgh,

Well after the last 6 months ive been collecting various parts of a compleate dash. A month ago i achieved that goal and begain scraping the rubber crap off and molding housing for my boost controller and EDFC. After 20+ (:() hours i have finally finished! Its off to the paint shop bit by bit this week, it so better be worth it!

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3477/imgp1103sizetb4.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8205/imgp1104sizeny8.jpg

Good man :thumbs: will you keep us updated on this, specifically the re-painting? I am planning to do the same thing but with a widescreen TomTom.

I would like to move the heater controls down a bit, so they take up the upper DIN slot, and mount the TomTom where the heater controls are currently.

I don't want a painted dash though, rather a textured or rubberised dash. I'd be interested to see the finished results, and if possible some work in progress for how you did what you've done..

I tryed that for like 20 minutes on my spare dash.

Then figured the glue that was on, was really hard to remove.

So i decided to keep my dash and sell the spare one...

To much hard work....haha

But i wanna see how this turns out when done :)

Going for a silver to match the outside of the car, not very original i know. My housemates painter collegue at Ford is doing them for me, the same guy thgat done my headlights :)

i used an Isopropyl based nail varnish remover and scouring pads but it seemed easier on some pannels than others, the ash tray was a bugger to do! The sppon trick came in handy too.

Ill see what i can do for you carlos :)

• 4 weeks later...
I must have done about a dozen dash sets now, the trick is to use meths and a rough cloth. The meths softens the rubber coating and it rubs off fairly easily.

Nooo - you should never suck meths thru a rough cloth - always use a smooth one (sorry, late nite 'humour')

• 3 months later...

Jesus, I wish I'd done a search before I did mine, I put the slightly crap finish down to me doing it in a freezing dusty garage....

Would stripping it (Painted and Lacqured *sp) with meths and a rough cloth work through the paint?... I'll be spraying it the same colour...

we use isopropal alchaol and meths at printing place i work at.mate used to go to chemist to buy a bit of isopropal and they quizzed him before they would sell him any.

i started to do my facelift dash and it seems like a different coating to pre facelift dashes.

looks good when done.like what you done with the moulding.

we use isopropal alchaol and meths at printing place i work at.mate used to go to chemist to buy a bit of isopropal and they quizzed him before they would sell him any.

Yeah I was quizzed once when buying IPA from a pharmacy, which is just unnecessary.

It's known as rubbing alcohol and is used for cleaning all sorts. I keep some handy for cleaning most things - I think it's well known for cleaning tape heads or something if you go to a chemist.

It's not a watched chemical or anything. You can buy reasonable tubs of it from Maplin off the shelf.

IPA, IsoPropyl Alcohol, Isopropanol - all different names for the same thing I think.