The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Holls in the Supra & Window problem

Shane

Just got back from a fantastic few days in Normandy. Went camping and found a nice site in Houlgate just outside of Deauville. Weather was good and just spent a few days chilling, eating and drinking. The supra was great for most of the trip, gobbled up the french roads effortlessly and returned about 28MPG throughout the whole trip which covered about 600 miles. The only problem we encountered was as we left we were sitting at some roadworks and heard a loud bang from the drivers side door. My bird was driving and as we both looked at each other in surprise wondering WTF was going on the window went down on it's own!

Natural reaction from Em was to press the button and as she did all we could hear was the motor and loads of mangling noises from inside the door. Needles to say the window did not go up.

We pulled over and i took ethe door panel off and could see that the cable at the top of the winow had come off and there was various bit of plastic. I managed to get the window back to the up position and wedged it into place with some bits of old hose I hade in the tool box. Got home on Friday eve and the only incovenience from not being able to use the window was at Dartford crossing and passport control. Stripped it all out yesterday and the cause of the window droping was a bit of white plastic which the nipple end of the cable sits in breaking, but because the motor was activated with no tension on one end and the window in the wrong position on the other end it has damaged the nylon cable spool and pulleys. Found a corrola one in the brealers yesrerday and thought I had managed to transplant bits over, it worked a few times then broke. So I give up now and am looking for a new window mech. Supradibbs has offered me one for £80 so will be buying thast I think. Ah well the joys of motoring.

Will be an expensive week this week....Its booked in for a de-cat and SS exhaust on Wednesday and now the window!.

New window mech is only £62 from Mr T.

I know - exactly the same thing happened to me a month or so ago. :(

(And ignore Ewen - his went too.) :lol:

Thanks Guys, strangely this is not one of the items high on my maintenance list (maybe it will be now!) Seriously though no amount of maintenance would have prevented the bit of plastic breaking. When I looked closely at all the remains a lot of the white plastic assemblys have fractured.

£62.....maybe I should have shopped around then, I was just desperate to get it done and jumped for the first one I was offered. On the plus side he is going to Pod on Sunday so I will meet him there and this will save on P&P etc. oh well all part of life, growing up and running a Supra.