The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just bought an SZ

mista weava

Anna my girlfriend has just bought this car. after a long search and nearly giving up, this fella ticks all the right boxes.

quiet as a mouse, pin straight and un messed with. purported to be a 1 owner example (which i have no cause to dispute) this thing is EXACTLY what we were looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-3-LITRE-24-VALVE-VERY-RARE-MANUAL-GEARBOX_W0QQitemZ330033804130QQihZ014QQcategoryZ18290QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anna is understanderbly made up.

we got it for £3900 which i think was a fair price. the seller was straight up about a couple of things that need doing. before we went, he mentioned that there was a wheel bearing making a noise, its the usual thrum, and its the near side rear. so we will need to have that done.

i wanted to list some things that we want to do to the car and if possible, get soem feedback from you guys as to the best way to tackle the part sourcing.

Cambelt - want to do this, despite car having only covered 40k miles, it needs doing on a 13 year old car IMO. wheres the best place to buy it from, and any notes on fitting? should we do the water pump and tensioner (guessing yes)?

Wheel bearing - as covered above - again, where to buy and any tips?

Tyres - need doing, thats in hand, goignt o go for toyo t1-r as they have always been good to us.

Stereo and alarm - being fitted on friday, so no help needed there.

Headlights - misty and discoloured - the usual thing, but can these be replaced with clear items? i have heard there are some available - guidance on tjhis would be very appreciated.

Load cover in boot - presume in a garage in japan! can these be bought new? i would think they are rae to find S/H.

cheers everyone. :D

hmm.....sounds good, i will contact him, my only problem is living on the isle of wight. getting the car to him may be tricky if he is a long way away.

are there s "crystal" pack style items available do you know?

Thanks for the quick reply Gaz!

He does a headlight exchange so no need to send the car to him. The headlights are easy to remove only held in by 3 nuts :)

Clear indicators in the front bumper and side repeaters with cleaned up headlights will finish that car perfectly.

A wheel bearing im sure is around £200 - £300 to be changed.

Cam belt around £250

Boot cover - we have some traders on here who may have one 2nd hand for you. If you post in the wanted section :)

ohh and hello :D

Thanks - i have printed of the diagram for the brake light conversion - give my auto electrician something to do! :)

i thought that clear indicators and repeaters were a plan - where is the best place to buy them from?

do we have to get genuine wheel bearing and camblet - and what aboutt he tensioner and water pump (are these all connnected like in most cars?)?

Thanks - i have printed of the diagram for the brake light conversion - give my auto electrician something to do! :)

i thought that clear indicators and repeaters were a plan - where is the best place to buy them from?

do we have to get genuine wheel bearing and camblet - and what aboutt he tensioner and water pump (are these all connnected like in most cars?)?

Firstly Clear side repeaters, you can get from toyota you want the celica ones as they are direct replacement, so nice and easy.

Now to replace the orange blobs at the front you will want facelift bumper lights. The lights that replace the orange blobs actually have the indicator and sidelight in there. you have 2 choices

1. just replace them and put indicator in there and ignore the sidelight bit.

2. ...and move the sidelight down there (IMO looks better)

You can buy cheap ones off ebay but they dont come with the wiring loom. What i suggest is you post in wanted section and a trader will get back to you with a price for facelift front indicator lights +wiring loom, also so you know we have a contact at toyota to use and if you mention the club you get a discount :) Also traders can do OEM parts, same for the wheel bearing, traders on here should be cheaper.

Cam belt - most people use one from halfords i think, on my NA i got mine from Part co and has been fine. (£20)

Thats great, thanks for the info.

so when the cam belt is done, its not necessary to carry out any other replacment parts in this area?

how about oil service intervals?

Its purely up to you. When doing the cam belt, i would replace the cambelt tensioner (might as well you've got it off)

You have to take the timing belt off to get to the cam belt so obviously replace that. Its up to you if you want to replace the water pump, we dont get many failures (im actually trying to think of one) but im sure you know water pumps sometimes dont like to be disturbed.

All your fluid questions answered :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=56684

but 9,000 - 12,000 miles roughly

ok - will leave it alone i think.

course - need to delimit and convert to mph, as it is still reading in Km's at the moment - thought i would get the auto sparky to do this as well. where can you get the converter box from please?

thor - youll want the delimiter and convertor in one box about £100 i think.

anything else :D lol