The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stock max speed

Underworld

Hey just a thought whats the stock manual max speed if its been delimited?

I was coming home last night about midnight and thought what the hell lets see what it gets up to, as Ive never done it before. My mph goes up to 110 so i can tell what im doing past that. What sorta speed are you going at 6k 6th gear?

stock TT's generally get upto somewhere between 170-180 depending on conditions.

I think when a magazine ages ago tested the UK-TT 6-speed they chose the middle of winter (for the cold air) and got it upto 180mph (just going from memory but don't quote me on that).

J-specs are I think slightly lower at 170mph, as quoted in a number of magaznines such as EVO (I think).

But top speeds are very much affected by conditions, thinner tyres will help, cold air also, smooth road etc. etc. The same car will vary a lot in different conditions.

A BPU Supra TT should be able to get to 180mph with no problems... I know mine does ! ;)

I had a road test somewhere that stated 182mph (USA road test in summer). When Toyota released the car in 1993 I clearly remember being stunned at the BBC newreader saying "Toyota have introduced a new sports car called the Supra, capable of over 185mph" etc, I nearly shat myself thinking "if only I had £37.5K" I'd have it bouncing off the limiter!, little did I know 10 years later I would do just that :) The above facts really piss off M3 prats - sorry owners.

Underworld, never economise on tyres, always buy the best on the market, after all your car is very demanding on them.

Talking of tyres boys and girls, are people using ZRs or higher speed ratings? I'd never be crazy enough to go above 150 leps, maybe on a track, but what would happen should the opportunity arise on a 'private track' - would they frikking explode on me!>? :)

if you're worried about tyres exploding then its going down the same line of thought as what if a meteorite hit me whilst I was driving. I know, not in the same league of probability but performance tyres are designed to go upto speeds of over 150mph... they have thick chords of metal strings wound under the rubber and you'd be surprised how much abuse they can take.

The thing is also, is that if a tyre is going to explode at 150 then it can explode at 100mph... or 50mph...etc. in each case it can lead to certain death under certain circumstances. If I had that line of thought I wouldn't drive at all. ;)

So as long as you check your tyres regularly and have them inflated at correct pressures etc. you shouldn't worry too much about them.

In my racing I have had a tyre blow-out and although at first you brick yourself, the car can still be controlled easily enough if you're 'on the ball'. Its on the corners where its a different story :(

I've taken it down that path a couple of times, and the aerodynamics are excellent.

In my case, my feeling was that the gearing is the limiting factor rather than outright power.

The speedo is quite optimistic, as one would expect.

PS

Silly speeds, very high risks. If anything goes wrong (as might be the case when mechanical stresses are at their maximum) they'll find your remains in the fields, a quarter of a mile from the road.

Not recommended.

Guest dee_rz

In theory on stock radial sizes for j spec 16" tyre with it's stock size tyre the car will or will in theory do 197 mph when it bounces of the limiter in 6th on manual auto 191 i hear but both will need more than stock hp to get it there.

If you have a bigger dia tyre and rim (working it out with tyre calculator) you in theory could have just over 200mph but need a fair few horseys apparently 550ish bhp @fly i had mine worked out by titanmotorsport and in theory said with the rev limiter raised to 7250rpm in 6th with my rim and tyre size 225.7 mph was what could be achieved but we all know it's not easy to get much more than 200 as it's get complecated co offiences come into play and much more power is needed 700+bhp.

I'm aiming for 750bhp and next years totb as a good test of all round performance :) :cool:

Remember the Supe has a huge frontal area to push against, so even with the lowish Cd, you've still got a lot of air to push out of the way. That M5 has a stunningly low cd for a saloon, and it's frontal area is also suprisingly small (I don't have figures though) which is why it's so fast for 500bhp.

TerryS has a raised rev limit doesn't he- wonder what his top speed is? 205?