The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supes and lads

gaz1

my boy wants a supe badly since i got mine, he is 19 in january, he has a fiat thingy at the moment, initialy he was going to have mine for his xmas/birthday present, as i am planning another project, but he was to sort the insurance out, but since been told they will not insure him with the amount of mods on the car, so have been searching for a standard supe, and i have been looking forward to me and him both joining the meets and shows, anyway sunday morning he crashed his fiat (going to fast around a bend) he is ok but the car is a right off, (well it is a fiat), every time he has taken me out in his car i have thought good lad very good driver, he was predicting what the traffic was doing, but since the crash my daughters have approached me and said i would be stupid to even contemplate getting him a 3 litre car as he is a mad fast driver which has shocked me, initialy i thought it was a bit of jealousy as he would have a nicer looking one than there,s, (one has an mr2 the other a bmw), but now someone else has said it too, i told him last week i will not be getting him one now and he is in a strop, even though he has promised he has learned his lesson from the crash, i feel that i cannot get him one (incase he is fobbing me off) whats you guys opinion, and if someone can make this a voting thread it would help;)

I hate to say it, but 19 is too young to drive a Supra - it's just not mature/experienced enough for the power and handling, especially a tuned up beast. Doubly so if it's not his baby which he saved his own hard earned cash for; I'd say that adds a certain responsibility and fear of losing all that money, which simply won't be there if the car is just handed over.

Ok well my first car was a fiesta and when my dad wasnt in the car i use to hoon around in it. I had a small crash in it and since that day i learnt my lesson. Im very carefull when i go fast and much more observant.

I think getting him a TT would be mad!! A NA may indeed be perfect in the dry its hard to break traction in the dry in 2nd, 3rd etc... (yes you can do it in first if you dump the clutch) when accerlarating.

However wet is another story, my view is still get him it but wait till he is 20 (im hoping thats after March) I bought my supra when i was 20 and im still here :) And at todays prices if he crashes your wallet isnt too dented and he is also very safe in a supra. (p.s maybe an idea to leave the limiter on for top speed :D)

You'd be better off spending the cash on a advanced driving/IAM/ROSPA course for him and a session on a skid pan and maybe some lessons on a track so he can learn how to control a car properly.

Most people his age make small steps to a car like a Supra learning along the way to go from a Fiat that couldn't take the skin off a rice pudding to a Supra can't be a good idea, especially heading into winter with wet roads. His temptation to show off could cost him dear and with a definate write off to his credit insurance will be even harder to come by.

m.

Good luck fella with him fella, you are at the end of the day leading by example.

I would not give it to him but I would let him drive it as long as he understands that it is your car. Pay insurance for a year for his birthday, let him drive it too. Share it and help him appreciate it. He crashes it then you both have learnt your lessons, end of argument.

Just my 2p's worth..

Ray

How long has he been driving, at 19 he is still too young for a Supe. Sounds like he is driving responsibly when his dad has his eye on him and driving like a loon for his mates. How many times do we see in the papers stories of young boys racing their cars too fast and losing control. Be a father to him and don't give him the keys to the car, let him learn that for his actions, ie crashing, there are consequences, rather than being one of the Playstation generation.

I agree with the above get him something hot hatch esque, what about an Toyota Mrs.

Not overly powerful and rear wheel drive, they are supposed to be good fun to drive.

Tell him that he is on probabtion, if he can keep out of the ditch for 12 months you will consider an upgrade. :)

Buy him an MR2, MX5 or an S2000 to learn the "ropes" of RWD first?

would agree with the mr2 or mx5 there.

as for him being a good driver in front of you, of course he is! whenever i had my parents in the car i drove like little miss daisy, when they weren't there it was a whole different ball game and i'm actually really glad i didn't have my supe when i was his age.

at the ripe old age of 25 i now feel i'm 'ready' for it.

good luck mate, am sure you'll make the right decision.

Ian

Guest Nicholas

Interesting... well to be honest I would wait a couple of years, I'm 24 and have a supra on the way. This will be my third performance car having owned a renault 21 turbo and GTI-R at the ages of 18 and 19 and I was a loon...

I can honestly say I would have crashed a supra if I had one at the age of 19 because you have no limit, your son will keep pushing and pushing until he reaches his driving limit and you don't want the consequences of a bad crash playing on your mind for buying him the car not to mention the fact that no doubt he'll have a young girl in the passenger seat...

Give it a couple of years yet....

Nick :)

I wouldn't call myself a bad driver but I am far from being a good driver! I have total respect for the power of the car but it can still surprise you if you are either not paying full attention or give it a bit too much of the loud pedal. Personally if I were you I would look at getting him an NA MR2 ok not as quick as a supra but they look nice and go quite well, plus it will teach him about RWD car's and how to control them. The last thing you want on your consensus is a visit from the police telling you that your boy has been involved in an accident. Also another thought is your son will quickly be targeted by police due to age and type of car even before I got 3 points I was followed by police or stopped and asked if it was my car etc.

Oh and got mine when I was 21

So he's crashed a fiat "thingy" and you want to get him a Supra.

Theres a reason why insurance is so high for young drives it's because they crash, get him a 200sx (their cheap) or MRr2 if you have to get him a powerful car and say if he doesn't crash that you'll get him a supra for his 21st.*

S2000 are still holding there value, MX5 are way to forgiving and have now real power (oh and his mates will think he's gay).

He's proved he can't handle a car. The temptation in a supra to show off is to high, even so called mature drives show off :innocent: in a supra

The thing is, he wants a supra and he will get one sooner or later, but I really think someone who has a crash with a fiat for speeding reason then a supra is not a good option.

I personally think whoever wants a fast car like a supra, needs to be perfect on slower cars to just manage a performance car like a sooop.

not saying he is too young but I think he need more experience on the road, we all said we know what we doing but did we really know what we were doing????????????

I was 19 when i got my first TT, i would also say wait a while until he is more experienced on the road. Its nice telling your mates you have a supra but they are a beast to handle when you get it wrong. I will admit when i first got my supra i drove it in a very stupid way and was very lucky not to have a major accident. Now im 21 ive claimed down...abit :)

I think you should get him an N/A and say he cant have yours at 21 if he doesnt crash that and doesnt get any speeding ticket!

Still though, i got my sope at 20 had great fun, but did get myself in some sticky situations though.

It may be worth also say he has to do his advanced driving. This will improve his driving and decrease insurance! :D