The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon vs Fibreglass bonnet

psymon

Guys..

My mate's on bout getting a new bonnet. Now the carbon ones are almost twice as much. But is there any real difference in the two.Most carbon bonnets are fibreglass with carbon over the top.

So are they as good as each other , or is one better than other.

Opinions please, as he's a tight git

the carbon that we all use is nothing more than glorified fibre glass and purely cosmetic (dont get me wrong i do like them), proper carbon spends months in and out of ovens so if your on about strength there will be no difference, if its weight again the difference will be minimal and i doudt it would be lighter than a stock bonnet, i think it all comes down to how much your (or your mate) prepared to pay

Stock is free and light

FG is pretty expensive and about 5 kilos lighte, on average than a stock bonnet

CF is a rip off since its not even real, and is maybe 10KG lighter!

so yeah, there is a difference!

whoa there fella a stock bonnet weighs 11kg are you saying a fibreglass one weigh 6kg and a CF one weighs 1kg !

99% of statistics are made up on the spot

It was for illustrative purposes only

i'me seriously into weight reduction so sorry mate it doesn't really "illustrate" anything lol, i doudt simons mate is worried about weight anyway, it would be interesting to know the weight of the fibreglass CF bonnets though

There is no noticeable weight reduction, certainly not for the money to be spent

You really dont do humour do you :blink:

sorry mate mate my comment was supposed to be humourous hence the "lol" :eyebrows: now if you'd said there was no noticable difference first instead of claiming a CF bonnet weighed 1 kg any confusion may have been avoided;)

I dont recall claiming anything, would you like me to edit my post to avoid you getting confused into thinking that somehow on earth a carbon (thats really FG) bonnet could possibly weigh a mere 1KG?

wow take a chill pill mate, you stated and i quote "CF is a rip off since its not even real, and is maybe 10KG lighter" now if a stock bonnet weighs 11kg my maths aint to good but that equals 1kg

Happy now? A lot of people say things in jest on here Paul, not much of it is accurate

Do you really believe i think a carbon bonnet would be 1KG?

Get a grip

yeah whatever, as i said mate i'me sure simons mate doesn't give a fig how much it weighs anyway so lets not fall out over a KG or two :D :D :D

Only takes approx 8 hours for a front or rear wing (F1 that is) ;)

only going off what the dude has told me, there will be a massive difference between a highly stressed stuctural part like a prop shaft or suspension member as opposed to a piece of body shell or rear wing and i think we are deviating slightly from what the original thread was about

...i think people forget about the fit issues with aftermarket bonnets and you need pins as well if i'me not mistaken

Paul, not all composite bonnets require pins.

It depends how they are made. Some bonnets are made with captive bolts so you can use the stock mounting brackets and bonnet catch.

Given the speed that Supra's can reach, it is probably wise to use bonnet pins though :)

I doubt many composite bonnets out there can beat the weight of the stock one. A pre-preg (vac formed) CF bonnet would have the best chance of saving weight, it would also reduce the weight of your mates wallet as it would cost quite a bit lol.

nothing to see now mate we've kissed and made up :inlove: fair point Rob i think people forget about the fit issues with aftermarket bonnets and you need pins as well if i'me not mistaken

I've tested the Seibon CF TS bonnet to 170 leptons without pins and it has been tested to just under 200 leptons without pins in the US without problems. Obviously pins make will make it more secure but for the Seibon it's not needed as long as it's been shut properly!