The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got clocked at 166mph in my Supra yesterday!

SimonP

Fortunately this was on a private airfield rather than the public road.

Yesterday I went to a Top Speed event run by the drag racing club Straightliners at Elvington Airfield, nr York (the same place where Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond had his accident last week).

We were using the 2 mile runway with timing beams set up at the 1 1/2 mile mark - so we had 1 1/2 mile to accelerate and a half mile braking zone.

I had a practise run familiarise myself with the track and the braking area - with reasonably gentle acceleration I cruised across the finish line at 140.6mph.

On my next run I accelerated the car harder and keep my foot planted on the accelerator pedal all the way to the finish and recorded 163.6 mph. There was no real sensation of speed because the airfield is so large that you have no reference points until I went past the spectator/pit area and the marker boards at the finish line. On this run I braked hard as soon as I went through the timing lights - after a few seconds and with the end of the runway approaching fast I looked down at the speedo to see I was still doing 140mph! I continued to brake hard and managed to pull up just before the end of the runway.

For my third run I did a harder start and all was going well until I messed up the 4th to 5th gear change - but I still recorded 161.6mph.

On my final run I backed the car up the end of the runway to maximise the run up. I did a good hard launch and worked up through the gears until I was into 6th gear by the 1/2 mile mark. Then I just held the car straight with the accelerator pedal planted to the floor for the final mile as I just watched the speedo increase - 130, 140, 150, 160 and upto 170 as I crossed the finish line. Then hard on the bakes to again just pull up by the end of the runway. This was my best run of the day at 166.0mph.

This was mainly a bike event - but I finished up fastest out the 3 cars at the event. The fastest bike recorded 246mph!

A great adrenaline rush and a brilliant event to attend.

SimonP

1½ miles? The buggers only let us do 1.0 mile top speed runs at TOTB5 (same venue) because, they said, the locals complain about the noise and their houses are towards the end of the 2 mile straight.

The best I did was 161mph with a slipping clutch in 2nd and 3rd gears. I think Justin did 164 in his BPU Auto with hi-stall.

I had a practise run familiarise myself with the track and the braking area - with reasonably gentle acceleration I cruised across the finish line at 140.6mph.

That's an interesting idea that never crossed my mind :blink: :eek: At TOTB4 my first top speed run clocked 182mph :rlol:

Jake - it was for safety reasons, the cars were getting too fast to stop safely after 1.25 miles. Dunno who said it was noise related, they weren't too well informed.

-Ian

Might be handy to mention the spec of your car?

Sounds like fun though (i learned to drive on Elvingtons runway :p )

What bike did 246 mph?!

My car in BPU running 1.2bar plus FMIC, HKS cams (256 in/264 ex), F-CON SZ and 850cc injectors. Dynoed at Abbey Motorsport at 389bph at the hubs.

The bike was a turbocharged Hayabusa running 550bhp riden by Jack Frost. Apprently it can run 700bhp - and that's from 1300cc! When he was in the braking zone after the 246mph run he sat up out of the fairing and almost ripped his arms off! When the bike returned to the pits the chain (new for the event and had only done 3 runs) was stretched so much that it was resting on the swing arm!

Scary stuff.

SimonP