The mkiv Supra Owners Club

group buys !! what problems have people had

michel lane

I thought i would start this thread up as i have spoken to numerous amounts off people complaining about these group buys . They have as yet received there items .

please place your comments in this thread, on the time scale you have waited and when the payment was made and what product was it.

This is to allow the mods on this site to see what is happening with all the group buys and what isnt happening .

I know there is going o be some stick about this , but i feel that there should be a need to address this group buy situation with alot of traders .

the only problems are that with getting everyone to pay their money (which i believe can be sorted out by putting a deadline on the groupbuy from day 1) and the time it takes for people to actually get their product (which can be effected by my first point).

there are certain products which mean people are having to wait longer to get the product but as far as i'm concerned if i'm getting a better price than anyone else then i'm prepared to wait for it.

if not, then i'd pay a little more to get it quicker.

just my opinion of course.

i can understand your views, the organisers of the group buys should place a deadline on the purchases and chase the clients on the money . They then should keep people informed on who has paid and who has not .

I started a group buy many moons ago on front calipers and i received deposits from clients and full payment when the items arrived in the country . I just dont understand why traders should take full payment for the goods and let the clients wait another 4-6 weeks before final payment has been made. This exposes a big risk to fruad for everyone. At least with a deposit you only stand to loose a small amount .

There is also legal implications that may apply to the forum mods aswell, if a trader were to take off with the monies collected.

These are my personnal feelings, as i hear all these people complaining about the conduct of traders doing group buying on this forum, stop complaining and do something about it !!!!.... also had a bad day at work .......

hi michael , ive been doing a few gbs lately , mainly car care products , as im now valeting full time , so im able to pass on to the club good savings on quality products .

but find it hard to get the payments in ,i can see the point of a deadline , but also what i find is i have purchased a product from the list of people who initially wanted it or them , depending on what it is im selling .

so if i put a deadline , im only going to end up with a surplus of an item , which is not going to be a good idea .

ive pmd , but you can only do that a few times , before you start annoyimg people .

i think there should be some sort of rule to state that if you add your name to a gb list then be sure you really want the item .

but i think the gb rules have been changed , or are being changed , as ive been told that im no longer able to them after the polish one im doing now .

trader thing i think

on the point of keeping people informed i have done this in all my gbs , and shown considerable patience , when no payments have arrived .

hi michael , ive been doing a few gbs lately , mainly car care products , as im now valeting full time , so im able to pass on to the club good savings on quality products .

but find it hard to get the payments in ,i can see the point of a deadline , but also what i find is i have purchased a product from the list of people who initially wanted it or them , depending on what it is im selling .

so if i put a deadline , im only going to end up with a surplus of an item , which is not going to be a good idea .

ive pmd , but you can only do that a few times , before you start annoyimg people .

i think there should be some sort of rule to state that if you add your name to a gb list then be sure you really want the item .

but i think the gb rules have been changed , or are being changed , as ive been told that im no longer able to them after the polish one im doing now .

trader thing i think

on the point of keeping people informed i have done this in all my gbs , and shown considerable patience , when no payments have arrived .

just to confirm, i've bought from Pete a few times now through numerous groupbuys and has been spot on with every single one of them.

i do still think that with a group buy everyone needs to put their name down by a certain date, then everyone pays, then the order is made. otherwise, the organiser can be left with goods that people have 'said' they wanted and haven't bothered paying for.

Two points that bug the hell out of me:

1: People who bid and then shoot off on holiday.:tongue:

2: People who want something but can't afford it and yet still bid. You then see them having to withdraw from the GB in days or weeks to come.:tongue:

When I buy something, I move heaven and earth to ensure that the funds are with the trader within 'minutes' of the request being put out!!;)

Good thread topic, I'd welcome any comments good or bad about any of the group buys I have organised.

I try to be as up front about delivery times from the beginning as possible, I know I can save members money, but this often means longer leadtimes. When I organise a group buy I state the minimum number of orders I need, to be able to do the price. Only once I have that number of members express an interest on the thread, do I start collecting money.

Some members will transfer money immediately, others it can take longer. I will chase members publicly on the GB thread and personally by pm in such cases. Sometimes I don't get a reply and sometimes I am asked/told that they want to withdraw from the GB. I don't have a problem with members withdrawing, provided it does not decrease the number of orders below the required minimum, because I have already started to collect money at this point which can delay the ordering of the parts.

This happened with the recent Oxygen Sensor group buy which did drag on a little (which I apologise to those members who paid early for :sorry: ). In the end I decided to keep the GB price, despite the final number of orders being below minimum needed. This was my own fault really, as I didn't publish a price on the initial post, but asked members if there was any interest in another group buy. Lesson learnt :think:

In terms of delivery times, it can sometimes take a little longer for a complete GB order to arrive with me from Japan, compared to if I was just ordering one piece of the same part. This is mainly down to the quantity and the particular product involved, which sometimes means the supplier/manufacturer needs to locate or manufacture parts required.

In terms of postage, there are big saving to be had sending things to UK by surface post, although obviously this increases the delivery time. However I now try to send everything by airmail instead as it is more reliable/predictable. Surface post although cheap can vary from 4 weeks to 7 weeks to UK, so is a little unpredictable.

With group buys (and most other orders) I need to pay up front, to place the order. I could not (and would not) organise a group buy with just a deposit, as I would not want to be in the situation where I had paid for a big order, only to then have to chase up the balance of payment before posting the good out.

Those are just some of my thoughts on the subject, I'll probably have more as I think about it some more.