The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Damn! Fun in the wet again!!

Underworld

I posted up last time i drove in the wet, this is the 2nd time ive driven the car in the wet now. Well to be honest it was damp road not raining or looking wet.

Traction control going mental in 3rd and into 4th. I came out of a roundabout onto the straight, and put some power into it, maybe 5k rpm and i felt the back starting to go spastic and come out to my left. Shit my pants and eased of, about 5 seconds later i put more power back on and the back end started to swing about again loads lol. I musta been doing somewhere around 45-60mph when it was doing this too! The huge amount of traffic behind me musta been thinking omg!

I needed to feel the danger of the backend coming out so I knew where my limits are. It was good i found these limits on the straight rather than round a corner. Im seriously never hitting 2nd turbo in damp conditions ever again.

Utter madness. :blink:

I posted up last time i drove in the wet, this is the 2nd time ive driven the car in the wet now. Well to be honest it was damp road not raining or looking wet.

Traction control going mental in 3rd and into 4th. I came out of a roundabout onto the straight, and put some power into it, maybe 5k rpm and i felt the back starting to go spastic and come out to my left. Shit my pants and eased of, about 5 seconds later i put more power back on and the back end started to swing about again loads lol. I musta been doing somewhere around 45-60mph when it was doing this too! The huge amount of traffic behind me musta been thinking omg!

I needed to feel the danger of the backend coming out so I knew where my limits are. It was good i found these limits on the straight rather than round a corner. Im seriously never hitting 2nd turbo in damp conditions ever again.

A damp road is nothing ! you wait till ice and snow...practically impossible to drive in a straight line.

I personally can't stand driving the supra in the winter, its a constant white knuckle ride, roll on spring time !!!

:D never boost if theres any moisture on the track.... ahem i mean road :innocent: drive safe mate - shes a beauty!!

simple thing is to learn how much throttle you can apply in the wet and remember how the engine/tyres apply it to the road.

Every road condition is different, and you'll find that less throttle input will cause a slide on some corners and more throttle input will cause a slide on others.

RLTC is there if have no confidence in your right foot, but I think its always best to learn the limits with no electronics getting in the way first.

But then it also comes down to how much you can interperate what the car is doing.... some people think that a tyre screech means they are properly drifting, some think that because they recovered a slide that they are in full control... etc. etc. (not applying this to you by the way, just a broad generalisation).

Be careful out there and drive within your own limits first... develop them, and when your limits are above the car's then you can start to play with oversteer and understeer.

I've been scared in the wet, now with RTLC I'm actually looking forward to getting out there and having a play!

for me I found the problem is this:

the car is very powerful and torquey, it's turbo (so power comes on suddenly/non-linearly) and then to add to that, it's twin turbo to boot!

I find this means that the power delivery is sometimes hard to control with precision (as you have to be mindful of revs and load = boost at all times to work out where your foot should be).

If you're trying to drive at the limit this is a lot to deal with (i.e. takes a lot of practice) and getting turbo #2 running without that transitional jolt that spins the rear wheels is a challenge.

I'm finding that RLTC just helps to temper the erratic power delivery and enable you to concentrate on the driving part, but of course you should always be aware of what it is doing...

finding it cuts in at the most suprising of times at low speeds, at high speeds much less so.

I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone, especially those with BPU or single, it's one of those mods that is almost essential to get the most out of the car on a real road without pushing your luck every time

I've been scared in the wet, now with RTLC I'm actually looking forward to getting out there and having a play!

Mate RLTC in the wet is a safety net only, rely on it at your peril. I've had it before and now don't. Not gonna start the RLTC debate again, but it should never be relied upon.

Other than that, have fun :thumbs: I know I am :eyebrows:

Mate RLTC in the wet is a safety net only, rely on it at your peril. I've had it before and now don't. Not gonna start the RLTC debate again, but it should never be relied upon.

Other than that, have fun :thumbs: I know I am :eyebrows:

hey don't worry, I know that.

I think it can be relied on to vastly improve traction (which without it is a major source of risk on its own) - but it won't keep you on the road if you drive beyond the grip / capability of the car - that goes with out saying!

I crashed my auto TT at about 30mph during the Midlands Gumball round a long NOT tight bend. It was wet and loose tarmac to be fair but even so, shocking.

I now have RLTC fitted but on no occasion would I rely on it. TBH, that slight mishap has really put me off the supra, but I put that down to my lack of experience with RWD vehicles.

Even the NA was sliding about last night when i gave it a bit too much on a wet road so no idea how you go on with a TT.

I think the difference between supras and things like the beemer mentioned above will be weight distribution. BMW used to advertise on 50/50 weight distribution and while i haven't had an engineer check it a look at the supra says it is likely to be front heavy.

A light fuel load won't help either i wouldn't think.

Is it possible to get the control for slides with an auto though?

I did a skid training session at knockhill and while it was fun it was all in manual cars and basically dealt with dipping the clutch to stop slides, clearly that isn't an option so what is? Spare pants in the glovebox and hang on for grim death?

m.

Martin A,

Yeah mate I've heard from a LOT of people that autos can be deadly once you lose it or begin to skid. A guy called Nas said the same that day I crashed as did a few other members from this and the MKIII supora forums. I think it could be a case of hang on for dear life.

I actually had another dream last night that I wrote of my car by crashing through someones fence and hitting a pack of trees. A little scary and realistic too! :(

I did a skid training session at knockhill and while it was fun it was all in manual cars and basically dealt with dipping the clutch to stop slides, clearly that isn't an option so what is?

is that (dipping the clutch) the recommended technique then?

Thinking about it, I must admit if the back has gone due to too much welly I sometimes tend to do this instinctively until I feel the car is back under control

Hmmmm might be traction control then if there really is no way to control the sliding in an auto.

Chilli - yes you would control the car and the slide with the clutch. It makes things progressive because sudden lift off can cause the car to violently snap back which can be just as bad as the original slide. By dipping the clutch you control how much power is making it to the wheels even if the revs stay the same so it gives you much more control and the car should come carefully back round on you.

What i haven't noticed in the Supra is the 'breaking point' where it is about to step the back out. In the Sierra we practised in you knew well before it went - you could feel it in your arse cheeks through the seat!

m.