The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Disabled sup drivers

666upra

Having a badge and being actually in a wheelchair is different though. The Mrs is disabled so we park in the spaces and the Supra has the same benefits of any coupe - huge doors!

Without rear doors the front opens up really wide so it is much easier to swing legs in and out. THe legspace is good for the same reason.

As for storing a wheelchair? Mrs has one but even with the wheels off we aren't convinced it would go in without sticking the wheels behind the driver. Not something a person alone could do.

m.

There are a few on here . Rob oldham , myself springs of the top of my head but im sure there are more :)

OOps hit the send button before I was finished like a dope.

Supras are not the best cars for wheelchair users If I'm totaly honest but they are not bad. I have a rigid chair with removable wheels and foldable back and if I'm just out on my own the wheels go in the back seat and the frame sits of the front passenger seat. If I have company both the frame and wheels get slung in the back which pretty much takes up all the back seat. Things get awkward if you want to take more people , But then it is is a Supra so 3 or 4 people squezed in there isnt going to be confy anyway LOL, infact 3 people will be your max with a chair . Access in and out of the car is great due to it big doors and the lecccy seat makes it a breeze to swing the chair in and out. As for using the boot to put the chair in ,well if you have a rigid frame forget it it just wont go. The wheels go in no problems but to get the frame in you have to either put the seat down or swing the frame over the back seat which means you loose the back seat alltogether again. I find the supra OK if you are in the mind set that it's a 2 seater car and pretty much resign yourself that the back seat is for the chair when taking a passenger and the boot is for, well, not very tall things . Hope that helps.

After the reply from migster i think i should update my answer to say "not something a short arse like my mrs could do"

Luckily she isn't usuing the chair at the moment to the question hasn't been asked. Agreed on the fact it is a 2 seat car though. if you want more get a motability focus or something :)

m.

I've found the supra the easiest car to date to live with. My last car didn't have an electric seat so it had a pretty much "fixed" position making it difficult to lift chair across your chest. My wheelchair is a sports chair with a folding back and fits easily into the back seat, with the wheels directly behind me. I find it easier to do this as the armrest/storage compartment is quite high which makes lifting the chair out the passenger side awkward.

Just beware when parking in disabled parking bays though! It seems that many people find it hard to believe that a "disabled" person can drive a sportscar. I've had many people swearing at me and i was once informed that my blue badge must be a good fake :p

Migs' chair is actually faster than his supra! Especially if its a downward slope eh mate :D (Gabriels Hill) Them fat birds at the bottom with their kebabs didnt know what was happening!

Nothing like wheelchair skittles ;)

Gota agree on the arguments on parking. I have had some funny exchanges of words with poeple who are standing there fully able to walk to their destination while Im sitting there sugesting that that parking space might come in more handy to someone who actulay needs it. Funny how wheelchairs can become invisable when it comes to disabled parking spaces LOL

i also have a blue badge cause of bad lungs i try only to park the sup in disabled spaces when i cant find any other spaces or multi storeys reason being im fed up with folk complaining about my car being parked in the disabled bays and my last car a celica kept getting little scraps eveytime no doubt folk banging there trolleys into for spite i went to adsa and parked in theres and there car park attendent asked me what i think i was doing parking there also i was at the doctors one time for an oppointment no spaces so parked in disabled sat in waiting room 2 mins later a guy about 50 came in and was complaining that someones parked there sports car in the disabled bit even low the badge was on the windscreen i actually felt like going up and punching him but then i would be young guy picking on an old man but i just went out so now i only use the badge when parking on yellow lines or in the street :(

I get that all of the time. I'm an amputee but when I'm wearing my leg and get out of the car when parked in a disabled space I get filthy looks.

Once I went to a little pub near me and parked in a disabled bay with the badge on display. This old couple were walking out and the old man came up to me and offered me his walking stick and said to me "here, want to take that aswell". Thinking he was messing about I just smiled. He then said to me why was I parking in a disabled bay to which I replied there was a blue badge on display. He chuckled to himself so I knocked on the fibreglass casing of my leg and told him it was false. The look of shock on his face was priceless, so he shook my hand and apologised.

Also parked in a disabled space in tesco's one, with the badge on display. When I came out someone had left a little note on the car saying I shouldn't be parking there and to watch where I park in the future. I was fuming to say the least.

It's almost as if because your disabled your not allowed to own a nice car. Grrrrr

It's almost as if because your disabled your not allowed to own a nice car. Grrrrr

In the style of those 1980s "My other car's a porsche" bumper stickers, maybe you could get a sticker for the back of the Supra that states something along the lines of "My other car's a Renault Kangoo 1.2 Diesel" for those moments? :)

hi peeps well t9 para found that i can get my chair on the back passanger seat and wheels behind drivers with me in car in 30 secs!!!! lot more easy then the rx7. also now have drifting down to a T with hand controls. when they fitted my hand controls they recon i shouldnt tune it as controlin the power and using steerin with 1 hand would b hard as any 1 been told this???

showed em my rx7 which b4 starter broke was running 450rwhp he didnt know wat to say....

:)

Cheers for all the thaughts guys,

On the blue badge issue, I have had some nasty comments but I allways put them right by telling them my condition in great detail and they start to back away or apolojise.

One guy pulled up in a SL65 AMG merc and parked in a disabled space right next to me. he obviously had nothing wrong with him so I shouted out the window STOP RIGHT THERE!! so he did,

Ithen got/fell out of my car, hobbled to the boot, got my wheelchair out put it together then whent right up to the bloke (who looked suprised to say the least) and said,

Is there any reason why you are parked in that reserved space?

he replied No not really im just in a hurry.

I replied, well if you dont mind moving your lazy ass to a suitable space, and dont ever let me see you use one of these spaces again please!!

He cowered back to the car and compleatly left the car park.

I felt a little harsh but direct and I proved the point to him

I have severed nerves in my left shoulder, so I drive with a steering ball. Dead easy car to throw around one handed.

Very similar here but dont use a ball on the steering wheel and dont have any problems controlling my tt scares my m8's a bit though especially if im loading a cd and on my phone :D only kidding

Had 1 bad comment from a policeman who thought disabled people shouldnt be allowed to drive such a powerfull car and was quite rude and actually thought i'd a concealed weapon in my pocket to which i told him no thats my hand in my pocket as my left arm doesnt work !!

I asked for his badge number and told him i would writing to his superiors with regard to his discrimination etc !! he quickly changed his tune and appologised to me and cleared off :D

Regards

Dunk

a policeman really offended me when he pulled me over saying my foglights where on (just bored i presume as my foggys where not on). I had to get out of the car and answer his q's.

now, I find it very painfull to stand for more than a couple of minutes due to my disability.

because I looked uncomfortable he said to me that I was quite clearly drunk as I could not shand straight. i asked him to breathalise me to find out as I cant drink alchahol any way.

I couldnt beleave the cheeck of the cop assuming i was drunk just because i cant stand very well!

He would not apolojise for his remark at all

One of our close friends had a Supra n/a a while back, she was in her late fiftys then, she said she would get constant hassle when she parked up and if her badge was a fake etc, you could not tell she has had a triple heart bypass, with ongoing problems. I've not seen a wheelchair in a supra, but i have seen a bloke near me who throws his chair in the back of his FTO, the room in that must be worse