The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thor Dyno - what exactly do you get?

Conrad

Ok, bare with me as I've never took my car on a dyno and not entirely sure what I'm on about!;) Hence why I'm asking here and not ringing Thor :D

Me and a few mates want to take our cars on a dyno but with me being auto I'm limited to where I can go. We was going to go to Thor but a mate of mine was unsure.

After seeing Thor's website he was wondering a few things. First of all do we have to take our wheels off? And secondly will you get both your figure at the fly and figure at the hub?

First of all do we have to take our wheels off? And secondly will you get both your figure at the fly and figure at the hub?
Yes the rear wheels have to come off as Thor's is a hub Dyno.

You'll just get a figure for the power at the hubs.

Thor's dyno is well known for giving very high readings, so you'll have a nice figure for pub bragging.

Yes the rear wheels have to come off as Thor's is a hub Dyno.

You'll just get a figure for the power at the hubs.

Thor's dyno is well known for giving very high readings, so you'll have a nice figure for pub bragging.

Do they calculate the figure at the fly too?

And am I right in thinking the figure at the fly is the figure most people quote as it's the higher one? I can never remember which is which/

No, he won't give you a flywheel figure. If you ask he'll just tell you to add 20% on (which is way too much really but hey-ho)

The flywheel figure is the one most braggers use but it's bollocks really because nobody takes their engine out and actually measures the flywheel power they just guess it by adding a percentage to the measured rear wheel figure.

RWHP is the one that actually matters anyway.

Yeah J-sepcs rwhp was kept under wraps due to Japenese agreement. It is more like the +300 mark.

Absxxx, not sure igf that fly figure is right mate!. I had mine tested without the new Envy hybrid stage 3's back in May 2005 and got 381 rwhp and 421bhp at the fly. That was at 114mph with 381.2 lbft of torque. 1/4 mile time again without the new tubbies was 13.7 and 5.11 0-60 so guessing the 0-60 should drop to the 4.8ish mark now. I'm hoping to crack the 450rwhp soon with fueling and 550's.

Good result though mate :)

i had my car dynoed at surrey rolling road today. mines a auto and was told that you loose 25% through the transmission it made 397.4 hp at the wheels so that 530 at the fly on 1.2bar:)

In my opinion, don't ever bother mentioning the flywheel figure - just state your at wheels figure - after all, that's the one that counts, because that's the one pushing your car along.