The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cracked rad

Thorin

Well after getting my girlfriends car running again this morning, I get ready, jump in the car and set off to work as normal...

Get a mile down the road and notice steam coming out the sides of the bonnet. Stop and have a look... notice a crack in the plastic at the top of the rad with water and steam pissing out.

So new fluidyne rad ordered from mkivstore and hopefully tomorrow I'll be fitting that. I'm asured it's an easy job, I'll take some photo's a do a bit of a write up though.

About the only tricky bit if you've not done it before is the lower fan shoud, get the car up on axle stands, undertray off, and there are two spring clips at about 4 oclock and 8 oclock that come off towards the engine. Remove those and the lower shroud falls off, everything else is easy :thumbs:

-Ian

Think the same thing has happened to my rad Thorin.

No steam and temperature is fine, but the bottom row on the rad seems to have buckled after my crash which has probably affected a few other things too!

I've been looking at the Fluidyne too, and the stock one as Chris Wilson and others say they're brilliant as they are. Let me know how you get on anyway. Would be good to see a write up pal.

Good luck! :)

Cheers, Greg ;)

Think the same thing has happened to my rad Thorin.

No steam and temperature is fine, but the bottom row on the rad seems to have buckled after my crash which has probably affected a few other things too!

I've been looking at the Fluidyne too, and the stock one as Chris Wilson and others say they're brilliant as they are. Let me know how you get on anyway. Would be good to see a write up pal.

Good luck! :)

Cheers, Greg ;)

Well as the stock toyota one is around the same price as the fluidyne, I opted for the fluidyne instead. I know the stock one is very good but hopefully the fluidyne one should be better... and looks nicer :D

Well as the stock toyota one is around the same price as the fluidyne, I opted for the fluidyne instead. ..

yeah, Toyota are known to be rather incompetent at making rads (or speccing rads for someone else to make for them)

Hell, they can't even make decent airfilters, judging from all these 'performace' replacement filters sold everywhere.

Same goes with hoses, wheels, recirc valves etc...;)

Thank GOD for the aftermarket bling:d

PS

Those who know how imprortant ducting is, think twice before replacing a stock part that will not allow all stock ducting to be refitted.

Split radiator top tanks, broken fan shrouds.... just like a Soarer. It's good to know Toyota's standards are so consistent across different models :)

I'd put it down to poor maintenance and people mucking about with aftermarket tat (that often create a ripple effect)

Mine has got 130K miles and still runs on the original fan, rad, hoses, what have you.

But it's got no fancy-pantsy 'uprated' bling rad cap or a shoehorned FMIC blocking the airflow.

Just fluids changed regularly. No bling there.

Some people would be very keen to change the 'boring' stock oil or rad cap, but won't bother changing the coolant (that starts degrading from the moment it is poured in!);)

Well it's arrived...

She's not particularly impressed, it's not edible. I did get the all important Haribo though :D

Don't think I'm going to get to fit it today though, I've got to wait in for a BT engineer and I still need to get out and get some axle stands. Hopefully sunday :)

yeah, Toyota are known to be rather incompetent at making rads (or speccing rads for someone else to make for them)

Hell, they can't even make decent airfilters, judging from all these 'performace' replacement filters sold everywhere.

Same goes with hoses, wheels, recirc valves etc...;)

Thank GOD for the aftermarket bling:d

PS

Those who know how imprortant ducting is, think twice before replacing a stock part that will not allow all stock ducting to be refitted.

;) :D :d

Don't get me wrong, the Fluidyne is a nice piece of kit with non-plastic endings to boot - I would just be happy to see all stock ducting go back as in stock form. I've seen people forced to use aftermarket electric fans with it and despite their fancy 'cfm' figures those are no patch on the stock viscous fan with the shroud.

Don't get me wrong, the Fluidyne is a nice piece of kit with non-plastic endings to boot - I would just be happy to see all stock ducting go back as in stock form. I've seen people forced to use aftermarket electric fans with it and despite their fancy 'cfm' figures those are no patch on the stock viscous fan with the shroud.

Don't worry John, I've no plans on removing any ducting or replacing viscous van with some piddly little electric ones ;)

I'll also be replacing the knackered SMIC with an uprated one (hopefully I can convince CW to do another batch when I can afford it) as I firmly believe it can cope fine all day long with small singles and I don't want to ruin airflow fitting an FMIC :)

I don't know how heavy the stock rad is, but the fluidyne is bloody light, and no plastic end caps is a big bonus. Stock rad is a fine core though and it's lasted 12 years so I don't really think it's much of a worry.

Fitting a rad is easy mate. Any half decent mechanic will do it in no time at all :)

I'm not a half decent mechanic though ;)

Well after waiting in for the BT engineer all day yesterday he never showed. I'm working today as well so will have to nip to Halfords tomorrow morning and hope it's not pissing it down to fit it.