The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Perfect wheel size/offset?

DannyW

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect for all round use and durability will be stock offset on stock dampers and springs

Stock wheel size for 17's is:

8x17 +50 Fr on 235/45

9.5x17 +50 Rr on 255/40

Then use a tyre/wheel size calculator from there to get the closest match for 18's (Sorry I don't have one bookmarked)

Perfect is stock, unsuprisingly.

17" wheels (8" wide front, 9.5" wide rear, 50mm offset). With 235/45 front, 255/40 rear rubber.

edit: I was too slow, homer beat me to it.

Supra

PCD 5x114.3

Offset 35 to 38

Hub size 60.1

Suitable widths min 8/12in upwards to 10in on back

Std wheels sit in the body to far think they are a 50 offset

The above offsets are what you need for aftermarket wheels although you need to check when you buy if the will clear UK biggerTT Brakes

Note

Larger the offset no : More the wheel will sit inside the Arch

I have 18's on mine with a 38 offset and they will clear the larger TT Brakes too,

offset depends on style of wheel too..

http://www.performancealloys.com/customers_cars.asp

My silver Supra is on their page with wheels i purchased

My tyres are

Front 225/40x18 (to narrow will be uprated when worn out but they were new when I got car)

Rear 265/35x18

8.5 rims F/R are fine on a NA and a Turbo if you get the right offset,

235 - 245 front tyres and 265 rears is the best combo

But ideally on a TT perhaps you should stick with the 9.5 front / 10in rear

Thinking about it don't be fooled into buying the millions of RX8 Alloys you see on ebay, they are ex warranty wheels as there is a laquer corrosion prob( luckily our 2 RX8s we have had have not suffered with it)

Yes they will fit a Supra but you must get the 60.1mm spigot (everyone forgets these)

Important you have a spigot or the car weight sits on the studs and not the Hubs

Anyway back to the RX8 wheels

they look so pathetic on a Supra, yes lovely looking wheels but the offset is totally wrong, they look like bicycle wheels as they are so far in the arches

Not only that the handling will be effected and you will end up with a car that handles like a pig ..

Thats not a personal opinion, just look at a Supra with RX8 Wheels on and I think you will all agree

No "best" is stock sizes, as both myself and homer posted. And if you have a 9.5 front then 235-245 tyres are too narrow.

ahh cheers

I was going to go up to 235 - 245 on the fronts at renewal time so what would be the best on a 8.5 rim ?

Most Supes i've looked at have 235 - 245's on the front,

but not sure what their rims sizes are ..

Got 235 front and 265 rear at the moment on my N/A and they seem just right, but i have nothing to compare them too. Havent suffered aquaplaning yet and have driven some seriously waterlogged roads.

Have you driven it in winter yet, when temps are below 10 or even 5 degrees? Beleive me (and others), its a different animal!

Thinking about it don't be fooled into buying the millions of RX8 Alloys you see on ebay, they are ex warranty wheels as there is a laquer corrosion prob( luckily our 2 RX8s we have had have not suffered with it)

This happened on my RX8 but got them swapped under warrenty just before I sold it.

On an NA I'd stick with 235 front 255 rear, you don't need huge wide rubber to get the power down and you'd be more prone to aquaplaning etc. if you went larger.

I was thinking of downgrading the backs anyway to maybe 255 / 40x18 and get my mates at http://www.autobmc.co.uk (cheap plug there!!) to re calibrate my chip on the speedo ( i have the latest all singing and dancing type plug in and adjust )

I find the 265/35 are a damn hard ride too and perhaps the 40's will make the ride better to

The bloody car slides like a bugger in the wet even with big rubber like that,

Caught me out a few times when first bought the car, now just get used to correcting it and not giving it a second thought

Will be a while though as still have a few thousand to go on the backs .

Have you driven it in winter yet, when temps are below 10 or even 5 degrees? Beleive me (and others), its a different animal!

Nope not yet, Can't see it being as bad as the 2 MR2 turbos i had before it though. Both had more power and were driven daily through the last 5 winters. I don't care what anyone say's, snow plus RWD turbo does NOT equal fun! :)