The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre Help

supra Lee

I have standard alloys on my supra...can anyone help with tyre sizes.

At the moment I have 225/50/16 on the front and 245/45/16 on the back. These were on the car when I got it, but I have come to get new tyres and cannot find ones to fit the back anywhere!

Can anyone tell me if I have the correct tyre sizes on at the moment, or if they are wrong. Need tyres asap!

Thanks

cheers, all ya need is someone with a bit of knowledge lol

now that I know the sizing is ok, still leaves me with a problem though :thumbdown:

I don't like to buy tyres of different makes, but so far eery site that I have looked on has a very limited amount of 245/34/16's and they don't hae the same makes as for the front tyres.

All I can seem to find is summer tyres :( :search:

cheers, all ya need is someone with a bit of knowledge lol

now that I know the sizing is ok, still leaves me with a problem though :thumbdown:

I don't like to buy tyres of different makes, but so far eery site that I have looked on has a very limited amount of 245/34/16's and they don't hae the same makes as for the front tyres.

All I can seem to find is summer tyres :( :search:

you'll generally find that most summer tyres are actually all weather tyres (they're just not winter specific).

also, there's nothing wrong with having different tyres on as long as you stick with a same pair per axle.

what kind is it you're looking for and where have you looked?

MODS: perhaps you should just move this to Supra Chat?

cheers tbh she looked on black circles and they had them, but not in the same make as the front... It probably doesn't affect it, just me being fussy!!

I don't understand tyres tbh, inside my door it says the front should be 225/50/16 & the rear should be 245/50/16... so my front one's are ok, but the back atm are 45, does it really make a lot of difference?

cheers tbh she looked on black circles and they had them, but not in the same make as the front... It probably doesn't affect it, just me being fussy!!

I don't understand tyres tbh, inside my door it says the front should be 225/50/16 & the rear should be 245/50/16... so my front one's are ok, but the back atm are 45, does it really make a lot of difference?

i believe Toyota themselves changed their minds when producing the later Supras and changed it from a 50 profile to a 45. The reason is to keep a similar rolling radius to the front tyre as the back has more width.

Just get yourself another decent quality tyre for the rears and you'll be fine mate, honest.

stupid, stupid, stupid question but what is the whole 9.5j & 8.5j things about...

I've kinda come to the conclusion that the tyres are gonna cost around £500, I want some new alloys and so I might kill 2 birds with 1 stone lol push the boat out and get some new alloys instead of new tyres!!

stupid, stupid, stupid question but what is the whole 9.5j & 8.5j things about...

I've kinda come to the conclusion that the tyres are gonna cost around £500, I want some new alloys and so I might kill 2 birds with 1 stone lol push the boat out and get some new alloys instead of new tyres!!

right, last one!!

the 8.5j and 9.5j is the width of the wheel, so if you're buying new wheels try and get a slightly wider one at the rear than the front as standard.

this is easier said than done with some alloys though and i for one (as other members must do) just have 8.5j all round.

(i'm not sure what the 'j' part means but it roughly equates to inches)

anything else........search. :boxing:

thanks again

when searching on here, I find that there are so many topics that don't answer your questions, but if you find a topic that does it is full of contradictions.

I just want to make sure I'm getting the right things for my car, if you can't ask for advice on a supra owners club... I don't know where you can.

I'm just trying to learn, like I'm sure you had to do one day.

thanks again, but when I ask a question, you personally don't have to answer it everytime.

when searching on here, I find that there are so many topics that don't answer your questions, but if you find a topic that does it is full of contradictions.

I just want to make sure I'm getting the right things for my car, if you can't ask for advice on a supra owners club... I don't know where you can.

I'm just trying to learn, like I'm sure you had to do one day.

perfectly correct mate and if i come accross like i'm in a sh1te mood then it's cos i'm at work :D

am happy to help to be honest because as you say i was once in your shoes.

if you can't find something on here, have a look on the rest of the internet...you'll be amazed at what you can find when you try ;)

ps

believe it or not i'm one of the members least likely to tell you to use the search button :p :D

The original stock wheels were 16s 8JJ 225/50/16 and 9JJ 245/45/16 with rolling diameter 631mm & 627mm respectively

However, from Aug94 the optional stock wheels were 17s

8JJ 235/45/17 and 9.5JJ 255/40/17

making the rolling diameters 643mm & 636mm respectively.

Therefore best size for 18s are 235/40/18 = 645mm and 255/35/18 = 636mm

However the recommended deviation is 2.5% so the max oversize from the stock 17s is;

Front

245/45/17 = 652mm +1.4%

245/40/18 = 653mm +1.56%

245/35/19 = 654mm +1.71%

Rear

275/40/17 = 652mm +2.52%

275/35/18 = 650mm +2.2%

275/30/19 = 648mm +1.89%

tyresize

Guest phat wheels

Don't know the situation now, but a couple of years ago we got Avon tyres in both sizes in UK. Great tyres, wore extremely well, good in wet. Here in Spain just bought Marshall tyres, again a matching set for the two sizes. Maybe they are in UK. Good luck!

Aparantly the J is something to do with the shape of the inside of the wheel, mind you it was 20 years ago I read it.
It's the bead contour code and refers to the part of the wheel that is in contact with the tyre when inflated. It's of little importance really and suffice to say that J and JJ bead contours are found on over 99% of modern road cars. You may find a K bead on some old British cars.