The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tuning Competence

Jonty

I have recently had expereince over the last 6 months of both excellent and poor expertise/customer service. My bill in the last 6months is £20K, essentially complete rebuild of the engine, new clutch etc. It's going to be a great car :) However wanted to share that many tuners overclaim their expertise massively and are glorrified parts fitters.:( They do not understand the complexities of high performance supra's and will have you part with your hard earned cash in a nano second:Pling:

It is interesting to note that when you search the forum, members have had good and bad expereinces at the same tuner! This makes recommending difficult and it's hard to be objective. (There is no Which Guide to Supra tuning[sAD][/sAD]) I have explored 6 of the forums top tuners first hand so if you want an upto date personal perpestive on the quality of expereince and standard of work get in touch and consider your choice of tuner for your next project extremely carefully.

Good news is that there are some excellent highly capable tuners out there who are passionate about the Supra and can turn your dreams into reality - however just make sure you climb into bed with the right partner as you don't want to expereince what I have recently!:Pling:

Perhaps we should have a members top recommended garage and tuner feedback expereince area to help others??

Br Jonty

I'm interested in this thread as I am searching for a tuner to finish my car. I have the top guys on this forum in my sights but I'm now curious to see what your views are since I don't wish to waist my hard earned cash on crappy work!!

I also like your honesty when you state that your ideas are subjective, but I'm certainly prepared to listen with a 20K spending spree under your belt.

Cheers mate, Andrew:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

The problem with any thread / discussion of this nature is that you will be able to find people who have used a particular tuner who will either swear by them or castigate them. Plus, and this is the biggy, there are two sides to every story. If a tuning operation is about to be slated on a public forum, I would love them to be able to give their version of events too.

I agree with Martin this thread could be good for both sides. The tuners will be able to see their weaknesses and should be able to improve their service to their customers (there for getting more custom). We as customers can learn more about what goes on behind the scenes and about the difficulties that can and do arise from time to time (there for cutting down on the " is rubbish because of......." threads)

Hours...? Minutes mate... :)

I would be very interested to hear some good objective info TBH

...and it would probably be most welcome :)

...but unfortunately I suspect that it depends on what they had to work with (and possibhly justified in doing so...) especially after using 6 (!)

Perhaps we could actually focus on what people are GOOD at... rather than the negatives

I am sure that people would then be able to choose those with core competancies

i.e. marks out of 10

All round good...

Turbos...

Servicing...

Just my 2p's worth (and prob worth that much...) :)