The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Celica GT4 or Supra TT ????

5upra

Guys, your thoughts and advice please.

I have an Aerotop N/A which I intend to keep long term and keep as a second low mileage car:sly: . Im now lucky enough to be in a position to buy another car and have narrowed it down to either a TT or GT4. Has anyone owned a 1994 - '96 ST-205 AND a TT. If so, which is the quicker car at all speeds and point-to-point driving including track days. I have driven both but about a year apart and only for a couple of hours in the TT and 20 mins in a GT4.

I like both cars but really cant decide, so I will go for the one that gives me the biggest rush. Im in your hands !

5upra

Some great replies guys. After much thought, im going for the aerotop / GT4 combo. Im not deserting my Supra, far from it, just want something for the winter so I can keep my aerotop looking spanking . . . .

I used to have a celica gt (not the gt4). Just the 2.0ltr version. I know it wasnt a GT4 but I only had it as I was 18 and couldnt afford a supra. Even given the choice now I would go with the supra as it was the flagship toyota coupe from back then and to me is more special.

However you get 4 wheel drive, and they can be very tunable, and they are becoming very rare. It seems very difficult to find a good one now. So the fact that its becoming a rare car maybe a good reason to get one, especially with all the imported supras they days.

I do like GT4s and they can be very quick. I think 400bhp for a daily drive isnt out of the question, if you have the cash.

Although i love my supra now, I loved my celica gt when i had it, probably just as much, and it didnt even have a turbo. they are nice cars but good luck finding a good gt4. There are a lot of overpriced crap out there at the moment!

hope this helps, kinda:p

Ive owned both. ST205 is a really good car, mine had basic mods and was dyno'd at 305bhp, felt quicker than my Supra (unmodded) when i first got it, but once you go BPU in a Supra there is no comparison :D

They are both very similar when it came to fuel consumption too. I would definitely go for the TT though matey, you know it makes sense :cool:

Yep, I currently own both of these types of cars. I have the ST205WRC version of the GT4 aswell as my UK-spec 6-speed Supra.

To be honest, I really like both cars. Once tuned upto to BPU they are both very good in their respective areas of performance.

The Supra is an out and out power car and can would eat a GT4 on anything 'A' road or above but put the two onto a 'B' road where it becomes a bit narrow and bumpy then the GT4 is a much easier car to drive fast.

I have also been to the Nuerburgring with both cars and I am very impressed as to how both performed. For a comparison, the Supra was putting in times of 8.42 and the GT4 (on race tyres) was putting in times 2-3seconds behind it.

Of course the Supra on race tyres would be about 7-10 seconds quicker but my GT4 only has 290-300bhp area and my Supra has around the 400bhp mark.

Acceleration terms the GT4 due to the 4WD is a rocket off the line and will hit 40mph quicker than the Supra... but then from 2nd gear onwards the Supra comes into its own performance area and pulls steadily away.

My previous GT4 was the ST185 version.... didn't rate it very much at all. Most of them don't come with the rear LSD.... which is really important IMO if you're into performance driving. Most of the ST205's do come with a rear LSD... and its this which makes the handling of the car much more predictable.

Both are easy to tune as you may already know. Anything with a turbo can be easily modded to give quick easy bhp increase.

Running cost are similar to the Supra believe it or not. Both cars are not the most friendliest on MPG.

I use my GT4 to do a bit of road rallying during winter time and it handles all types of road conditions from slippery mud and snow/ice through to bumpy dry or wet tarmac. They are a nice balanced car with an understeer margin built in for safety.

Things to look out for when buying.... the front lower suspension unit connections (usually known as the figure of 8 units)... these tend to get hit with all the daily road salt and grime during the yearly drive and corrode quite quickly. Can be about £600 area to repair... easy to look for as they have the shape of a figure of 8 believe it or not ;)

The rest of the car is usually bomb proof if not been silly tuned or mistreated.

£5000-£6000 will get you a very good one (ST205)

£4000-£5000 will get you a higher milage good one.

sub £4000 depending on milage, start looking for possible areas of attention.

Which do I prefer to drive? My Supra of course.... but then my preferred handling characteristic is always RWD. But if my journey was on 'B' roads I would take my GT4.

And as my Supra goes off the road for winter time I can also say the GT4 is a great all year round car to drive.

I had a GT4 CS version, it was an ST185 and I had it done up nicely, to around 230BHP at the wheels, and I got rid of it for the Supra TT, id not go back to the GT4 over the supra, but i do miss it when it rains heavy or snows.

your on a supra forum ... we are all going to say the supra ... go to a celica forum and im sure they will find some strange reasons on why the GT4 is better! Or how they cant afford a Supra ;) lol

You are so right ! im keeping my aerotop and am not sure if I should have 2 Supras. AJI has been really helpful. An aero and a GT4 are sounding the way to go.