The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Totb

Sharpie

Is it generally accepted that you NOW need to build a non-street car in order to make an impact at TOTB ?

Seems only yesterday where, people were going in Tesco trim and getting some good results.

Is it just another event which is now "Pro/Tuner only" ?

or

Have we not progressed as much as other marks/clubs ?

I would agree, seems like all the fun of ''street car' has gone especially from no 3 onwards, even though it is a great spectacle of cars, last year for me was a great let down.. I thought we might of seen one or two cars in the late 8's but nothing, cant really blame the weather even though it was quite warm.... we seem to be miles behind the yanks when it comes to drag racing, I think our best with a supra is dee with around a 9.4 sec run, no disrespect to the calder guys who do a superb job and always impress but there is a guy in the us running these times with a n/a-t with stock bottom, so why are we so far behind? I have participated at one of straightliners days at elvington and thought the surface is quite grippy and always seem to replicate in other times at the likes of santa pod

I agree with Pete, its moved from what it was.. enthusiasts and some tuners own cars into an event which is basically dominated by sponsored cars and things that have been imported in specifically for those type of events. Which is a shame.

We will always be behind in the Supra tuning here because theres not as much interest in Drag racing and theres more money and enthusiasm floating about over there.

bit of a difficult thread but i reckon my rex can dol 11 with slicks and still a street car and has full trim, but in order to compete to achieve decent times and make an impact i would have to raise boost, strip and basically run race fuel it then would not be a street car.

so the question is why dont they have class systems or do they ??

i think i will just use slicks and be in 11 second territory and keep the trim and use it every weekend as i do as to get lower times ur car changes imo.

I agree its turning into a bit of a farce because no one sticks to the rules, i mean slicks, race fuel, NOS and a full team of mechanics with a full list of spares is hardly a "street car" :rolleyes:

I know this year they had a pro class but the likes of the norris evo was not in that?? you telling me that a car which has been chopped in 2 then chopped in 2 again running side pipes etc etc is a normal road car and passed the exhaust noise test??

I prefer to watch the cars which are driven there, run then driven back which what the event is all about!!

I will be there next year and my car will be running in ALL 3 events and in full road trim which what its all about :)

Mike

I don't resent the big pro cars I'm all for it but the events need to be better defined.

My feeling is that there should be two simple categories.

1. Pro Tuner

2. Amateur Street

How you define those would be tricky.

I drove all the f*cking way to TOTB in my Supe, thrashed it consistently then drove home as I also do when I go to and from Santa Pod in my DOT marked MT's which have also passed an MOT. Then drove it to work on Monday.

For the record what's this 'we' sh*t? There were only 3 supes running at the end of TOTB and I was one of only two Supes running at the last RWYB. Part of the reason 'we' are so far behind the yanks is that 95% of the club daren't race their cars for one reason or another even though it says in their sig that they have a 3000bhp single turbo and can beat a Concorde down the local high street!

For the record what's this 'we' sh*t? There were only 3 supes running at the end of TOTB and I was one of only two Supes running at the last RWYB. Part of the reason 'we' are so far behind the yanks is that 95% of the club daren't race their cars for one reason or another even though it says in their sig that they have a 3000bhp single turbo and can beat a Concorde down the local high street!

:lol: Good post. I agree.

So, you coming to Bedford you panzy? :D

Have to agree with Justin's comments.

I am quite happy to drag race my supra but never considered putting it forward for TOTB as it was a full BPU+++ car and not one of the many singles on the site. I never thought my times would be close enough to stand a chance, but if i had known that it was only that small numbers i would have gladly entered.

Lots of Bhp thrashed around but not used.

My car is undergoing single work just now and the car will definitely be getting drag raced......if i didnt makes those 4 drag tyres i just purchased a bit useless!!! :D

Anyway hope the car will de finished off soon to see how my times are on a single and then i'll see about entering TOTB next year if my times are good enough.

Cheers

G

I think the problem with TOTB list.. is that when it starts everyone starts off with the 'You must have a single car to even be considered, or something that runs 11's or lower'.. so that puts a lot of people off from even considering the event.

Then what happens is that all of these wonderful single turbo entries pull out due to technical problems leaving a desomated entry list and the club lacking of entries.

Totally agree Bobbeh...i didnt think i stood a chance of making the cut even though i'm happy to drag my car and have done on many occasions.

Then i go to the event and see TdR running his completely stock car with an exhuast and a BL box and TC and thought i could have probably entered then.

Well i'll definitely be there next year. Got 10/11 months to get the car up and running. Just waiting on a few more parts and it should be good to go

Cheers

G

supras never going to do well against all the millions of 4wd cars.look how many skylines were there last year 20+ in different teams.its good to see all the high power cars in action,i prefer to see some of the odd cars like the grnada with corvette engine.mor privateers cars.sponsor cars dont do it for me with pit crews and fancy floors in pit area.what happend to all the big single turbo cars like paul w,leon.dude was the only person really wanting to go for it.justin always out and about at events.be good to see a few big single supras running and doing well.

i always like to see the crd supra in action.makes u wonder why they gone with the big huge rear tyres when they run so well on 15" wheels with m/t tyres and standard IRS in usa.

its not a bad day getting out and seeing all cars.just always come away feeling dissapointed after all the hype.

Should be drive your car there compete and then drive your car home! Which is my interpretation of a "street car" and absoloutley NO TRAILERS! I dont own a trailer and also use mine for work! The buck stops with the organisers as they set the rules, and i dont bother with it anymore because of it NOT being for the true enthusiast which is a real real shame IMHO!!!.....:(

Sorry but my 2p on the subject...

Should be drive your car there compete and then drive your car home! Which is my interpretation of a "street car" and absoloutley NO TRAILERS! I dont own a trailer and also use mine for work! The buck stops with the organisers as they set the rules, and i dont bother with it anymore because of it NOT being for the true enthusiast which is a real real shame IMHO!!!.....:(

Sorry but my 2p on the subject...

could it be u not competitive enough to keep up with the skyline lads.last time i seen u runnung you was doing 11`s with a t78.

would be good to see a privateer catching up with the others like tim w and mick b and rocket ronnie and keith cowie,u not curious as to how you would do against them.look at andy f in scooby nearly in the 8`s.

what turbo u running in the 32/33

people will have more respect for a privateer individual and always will.

I tried hard to do well at TOTB this year but it didn't happen for me. I spent over a grand getting my car ready for the event but sadly my clutch started slipping on my second run. As a true privateer I was screwed after that. I'm sure CRD would have replaced my poor old 2000 mile clutch as a precaution but I can't afford to do that.

If I was modding a Supra just for drag racing it would have to be an auto with a high-stall TC and a single turbo. Autos are so much easier to to launch. It's just point and squirt. Trouble is, I wouldn't want a hi-stall equipped Auto for my road car - and that's what TOTB is supposed to be about - real road cars.

MonkeyMark and Justin are beating the quarter times of nearly all single turbo Supes with a basicaly BPU Supe plus hi-stall. I'm sure neither of them are claiming it's down to driver skill, they've just done the mods that work best for drag racing a Supe.

Anyway, I agree that TOTB is a joke now. Most of the cars there ain't road cars. It was an ambition of mine to represent us at TOTB, and I did (badly), but I wouldn't do it again. It's like when a small sunday league footy team gets drawn against Arsenal in the FA Cup. You've got no chance without serious financial backing.

Mark the car you last saw had a full race engine fitted by Ron Kiddell (runs 9.4 in his!) and is doing very well thanks and can easily keep up with other liners thanks! Its just that i dont publicise my runs etc with any of my cars...If the event was not aimed at the tuners now! and like jake said it is a joke really as there should be a seperate catergory/class for a "privateer" then i would have maybe considered representing the club in my supe!! ;)

To me its simple

Privateer class - no race fuel, pure road legal, no nos, no silly gear box's, no transplant engines, original body etc etc just pure and simple the car as its meant to be thats been tuned and down to the drivers ability.

Pro class - any of the above but original chassis's etc

Mike

Surely 'we' could get one over the skyline boys by just entering to top 20 from the 'driving chronicals' with all these BPU's wasting everything in sight? :D

Seriously, speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

You'll never compete with the yanks as it's cheaper for them to get parts, fit parts etc, then they use specialy prepped dragstrips while we use disused B52 Airbases. Also, when you hear of a yank blasting 9's or whatever on stock twins he's hardly likely to have longevity in mind - hell it's only got to hold together for a burnout and a 400m sprint!

9s on stock twins?! Who's that :) But Gaz, thats what drag racing is all about at the end of the day isnt it. BTW, did you miss that thread of the guy in Trinidad and Tobago who runs 8s in his? Dont tell me they have an advantage too :lol:

I dont care if a car is trailored there or not.. I hardly thing its fair for someone who lives miles away and wishes to compete having to drive all the way in their car if they dont want to.

9s on stock twins?! Who's that :) But Gaz, thats what drag racing is all about at the end of the day isnt it. BTW, did you miss that thread of the guy in Trinidad and Tobago who runs 8s in his? Dont tell me they have an advantage too :lol:

I dont care if a car is trailored there or not.. I hardly thing its fair for someone who lives miles away and wishes to compete having to drive all the way in their car if they dont want to.

That's my point mate, they want to run 1/4 miles all the time, and we don't generaly. (I bet the labour rates in T&T are good :D)

I agree about the trailored thing- it's a long way on the back of an AA truck.