The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full decat, is it legal?

Guest SuperProperty

Guest SuperProperty

Hi

Maybe it was this Q b4 but I couldn't find

Is the full decat legal? I know that to pass MOT I need to put 1 back. But in case police stops on the road & want to check the emission? Would I be in big trouble? Alos, did anyone travelled to Europe with fully decatted car?

dnt think police can do any road side emission tests. Although they can get pretty arsy if its loud.

i believe they actually can do road-side emission tests now, although as you say it's not likely and they're more likely to be a pain cos of the noise really.

dnt think police can do any road side emission tests. Although they can get pretty arsy if its loud.

Not sure if emissions tests at the roadside can be done, but they can inspect a car at the roadside.

Realistically, an inspection for a cat would probably only be done at one of the many chav cruises around the country when they set up special units to check for this sort of thing. (Saw this happening at Gt. Yarmouth a couple of years back when loads of people were being pulled over and having their cars gone over with a fine tooth-comb.)

Generally, a check like this is not very likely to happen.

Guest SuperProperty
Many times. Never had any questions asked.

Thx a lot mate. Have u travelled by eurotunnel or by ferry?

I'm travelling tommorow, never take fully decated car abroad so just a bit scary if they gonna do any checks there?

I havn't had any checks on normal ar but this one is quit loud now having full decat & exhaust

I was stopped in a layby for a roadside emissions test a few years back. I had just pulled out of work and the engine was cold... so told the bloke who basically said "Whatever". He then went to stick the sample pipe up the exhaust, and realised I didn't have one :D

It had fallen off the previous week :p I was sent on my way !!!

VOSA now do the roadside checks. http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/roadside%20emissions%20check%20leaflet.pdf

If you get emissions checked and fail you have 14 days to get it fixed and get it retested at an MOT station, or else you can be prosecuted.... So just srick the cats back in and get it examined, then take them out again.

Thx a lot mate. Have u travelled by eurotunnel or by ferry?

I'm travelling tommorow, never take fully decated car abroad so just a bit scary if they gonna do any checks there?

I havn't had any checks on normal ar but this one is quit loud now having full decat & exhaust

I lived in Holland for a while and took the Supra with me (full decat). Once for a year (2000-2001) and a second time for a year and a half (2004-2006). I drove to/from the UK at weekends a fair bit using the Eurotunnel and was never stopped for an emmisions test, or questioned about the noise. They searched the car a couple of times but usually just waved me on through. An emmisions/noise check was the last thing on my mind.

Remember you need to have your registration and insurance docs in France to prove the car is yours if you're stopped.