The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Straw Poll: Driver Training Days

Ark

Are you up for a Driver Training Day?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are you up for a Driver Training Day?

• Yes, Definitely
    • Yes, Maybe
    • No, I just wanted to vote

Since posting about my experiences with driver training on Monday, I've had several queries about when, where, etc.

So here's a quick poll: IF I can arrange a Supra-specific driver training day in the South / South East, who would be interested?

Basic details expected:-

Date: Monday 9th October

Price: £120 per person

Venue: Ford airfield in Sussex (near Arundel)

Noise limit: none specified, but

If I can get enough interest up, I'll get more specific details.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for about 15 strong candidates before I take this any further - there will be drop-outs, date-conflicts, money-troubles...

No dates yet, but I would expect to book in one month in advance to get everything / everyone sorted out.

I'm definately up for it but voted maybe due to the cost (funds are low). I would love to get the chance to learn how to handle my car properly, will there be much damage to the tyres (expensive) or is most of the stuff on wet skid pans?

its my birthday next week so I know what would be a great present :D :d

Original comments here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=82036

The last event was a recomended maximum of 98db, so 110 may be too much. Having said that, it was neither tested nor enforced, and only set to minimise the risk of complaints. If you could chop a few db off, that would help.

The surface was concrete slabs, so good traction, but not so good for your tyres. HOWEVER, before dismissing the possibility, bear in mind that the whole point of the day is to learn how not to keep wheel-spinning, and actually deliver the power. Plus you can minimise wear by adding a couple of PSI.

There was no skid pan facility, but the surface can be wetted to reduce traction if required.

I know some people are concerned about damaging their car, which is totally fair. The risks are minimal, and every effort is made to reduce them further...Though I want to make this geared towards Supras, there is no reason to strictly limit this to Supras - If you want to come along in your wife's Micra, no worries (but I'm not liable for any domestic situations that may occur).

Last point - the venue last time was an old airstrip in the middle of nowhere. This means that facilities are limited, but that is the price you have to pay for private land and profesional instruction at sensible prices. A similar day at top-notch locations (Thruxton, Brands, Silverstone, et al) would literally double the price, even with more cars. I'm not trying to downsell this (because I want it to come together), but I want everyone to enter this with their eyes open.

2 instructors, each looking after a group of 5 drivers. Hour long sessions on each of the disciplines for the day. 1 on 1 at least once on each discipline, and lone practise runs with third-party instruction the rest of the time.

i.e. the instructor will ride with you and tell you what to do, then will watch the car from the outside and give pointers. That way you get more driving in, rather than constantly waiting for the instructor.

OK, I think we've got enough to get the ball rolling. Keep your eyes peeled for updates.

Remember that the bigger success we make an event, the bigger and better we can make make it next time! I for one would love to be able to put on such events with decent frequency.

As an appetite whetter, here's some pictures from the last time:

http://www.pixagogo.com/9842714381

OK, I've got a provisional date of Monday October 9th. That's just over three weeks away. Weekends are not available due to the risk of noise complaints, before anyone asks.

Price is confirmed at £120 per person, maximum of 12 participants, but specators / passengers are also welcome. For this price you get a full day on the airfield, driving from about 9-4 (believe me, you'll be worn out by the end of that time), professional instruction from ARDS qualified instructors, and a BBQ lunch (weather permitting; an alternative will be arranged should the weather not permit).

Location will be Ford airfield, near Arundel, West Sussex (maps will be provided to participants, but this is just off the A27, easy to find).

Now to lower the tone: in order to secure the day, I need to come up with a deposit. I am not running this as either a business nor with any form of club sponsorship, so I cannot speculate with my own funds on people's buy-in. If you want in, money talks - first come, first served. I will channel the funds to the event host. PM me for payment details. Depending on the uptake over the weekend, I want to get this confirmed with the hosts on Monday 18th.

If you want to register interest for this or future events, please continue to use the voting buttons. ONLY PUT YOURSELF ON THE LIST IF YOU ARE DEFINITELY ON FOR THIS EVENT AND ARE READY TO PAY UP.

1: Ark

2: Jo (WRX)

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

11:

12:

Come on guys, I can only make this happen if I get some buy-in...

Several people have shown interest, but maybe the date is wrong...gimme some more feedback, and maybe we can move the date somewhere more acceptable.

One last point on the noise, for the benefit of Muffleman - the loudest car last time measured 108db at Castle Combe yesterday. If he can get away with it (albeit with a few frowns) then I'm sure you can too, especially if you _can_ shave off a few DB.