The mkiv Supra Owners Club

car insurance

grimreaper

lol *whimper* lol

Insurance... oh the grimey underbelly of the wonderful passtime of owning a Supe.

Hey maybe we can petition to have the Supe registered as a classic? Now all we have to do is stop them importing too many and bring in a law to stop chavs purchasing them! ;)

What are the benefits of being a "classic" car with regard to insurance?

Edit: Feeling dim, will just ask my other half in the morning, she worked for Norwich Union Car and Home insurance for years before they moved every useful job to India... (always overlooks useful local resources ;))

I believe, to be considered for a "classic" policy, you have to state that the car is low yearly milage (taken out on weekends), not a daily runner, be over a certain age (I don't know the qualifying age) and garaged only at premises insured. I don't think that classic car policies are *any* cheaper than your bog standard run-around insurance (in fact may end up being more pricey), and you cannot accumulate or use NCD on them (well you may be able to with some insurers *shrug*). The insurance company usually requests lots of proof of the vehicle state - photos/documents etc, and need to know all mods as they will agree a guaranteed price for the vehicle should anything ever happen to it (I believe the only positive thing about having classic car insurance). This may not be the same for all insurers I guess, but it was what my better half said Norwich Union used to require.