The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on wheel sizes required

Animal

I'm looking at replacing the stock 16s on my N/A for something prettier and need a little advice on sizing & offsets.

I know the first response will be to stay with stock sizes to keep the handling which I accept and will (mostly) abide by.

My initial question is - can I get a deep(ish) offset rim for the rears that'll still fit standard arches? I'm a sucker for monster dished rear wheels (always lusted after Dale's wheels on the Skunk 2 Supra). I'd settle for an inch or so if it'll fit without buggering the handling up too much. I just don't like flush spokes on rear wheels. Fussy sod, me you know.

The other idea I've been toying with is leaving 16's on the rear, but going to a larger size front with lower profile tyres to give more of a drag look to the car. Not sure if it'll look cack or not as I've not had the time to photoshop anything yet.

These things I'd like, but I don't want to sacrifice handling too much. Your advice would be much appreciated.

Full Revs

Animal

I wouldnt use different size wheels front and back, think it would look a bit daft, have seen it done with bigger wheels on rear and smaller on front but not the other way. I know your lowering the tyre profile but still not sure about that.

What size wheels are you going for 17 or 18"?

Are you on Jap brakes or Uk's?

I was looking into this for a while and i think the closest to stock offset on an 18" rim on the rear was around +40. Its pretty difficult to find a set of aftermarket rims that are close to stock offset even in 17".

Imo if you find a decent set of lightweight wheels and get your suspension set-up correctly i dont see how the handling can be any worse than stock. Thats not to say there's not more stress put on certain parts of the car due to different offsets being used. Definately pay attention to wheel weights when it comes to handling.