The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto sup tuning

666upra

Hi all,

Recently I had an accident and have been left with a severly damaged left leg that makes it impossible to drive a manual.

Due to a big comensation claim its time to upgrade from my Astra

sport hatch 1.8 SRI.

The auto tt supra is an obvious choice.

But what are the limits of the auto box in terms of tuning?

looking at 5-600 bhp as a top end goal.

Any help/advise would be greatly appretiated.

Andy.

Hi all,

Recently I had an accident and have been left with a severly damaged left leg that makes it impossible to drive a manual.

Due to a big comensation claim its time to upgrade from my Astra

sport hatch 1.8 SRI.

The auto tt supra is an obvious choice.

But what are the limits of the auto box in terms of tuning?

looking at 5-600 bhp as a top end goal.

Any help/advise would be greatly appretiated.

Andy.

Why would the supra be the obvious choice, there are a lot of nice auto cars out there, and coming from a 1.8SRi astra to a 500bhp supercar may be a bad idea!!

Your takling about a huge power figure there and easily 10k+ of work to achieve!! the auto box will need rebuilding at that kind of power level for sure, boostlogic do a rebuilt box for this!

Was it a car accident you had??

I have followed jap cars ie events/shows for about 6-7 years now as my dad has had quite a few celicas over the years so i allways went along with him and caut the jap car bug.

i suppose i could have a rx7 but my brother had so many problems with them (rotary ect) it put me off.

I drove a bitsrmissin Gto Vr4 auto about a year ago ad was less than impressed (drove worse than my astra)

A 300zx tt is the alternative to a supra in my books but arn't as impressive as supras plus my next door neiber has one.

I would never think of going straight to a 500bhp RWD monster id buy a stock/BPU tt and take it easy while i learn a RWD.

Guys anything over stock power levels will reduce its life period, why take the chance, if your upping the power I would do the whole package

Heat is the killer, more power = more heat, keeping it down will help but not by much

and for the record its ultimatly the torque your putting the box under thats going to cause slipage and lead to a failure

I think b'have has been running his over 500bhp for about 5 yrs without a failure...although he did mention to me he was surprised it hadnt failed.

Exactly! I bought a spare autobox when I went single, been sitting on my garage floor waiting for action but I can't seem to break it! I run a PHR stage 1 at 1.7 bar (550 bhp) with a high stall TC. I have modded my box a little by upping the line pressure but its basically stock.

thats good to hear Charlie, its the only thing that bugs me about having an auto, the thought of wanting to go single at some point. I have no issues with the auto box, but it obviously bumps the price of the conversion up if it has to be upgraded. But it seems 500 hp is fine for it to deal with. Anymore power than that and it could be upgraded at a later date

Sounds like it may be possible then!

Nice one guys cheers for the help.

Now I can drive again I shall start looking at a few.

I need to make sure that my wheelcair will fit first.

Its tiny and folds practically flat so should have few probs, concidering it fits an the sporthatch's boot (350 ltrs)

I need to make sure that my wheelcair will fit first.

Its tiny and folds practically flat so should have few probs, concidering it fits an the sporthatch's boot (350 ltrs)

Should be fine, it's easy enough to get things in and out of the boot from the drivers seat if you fold the back seats forward.

i remember a while ago on top gear, when they did the fastest disabled driver in the liana round the track. They were all in wheel chairs and one of them had a Supra TT.

Not sure if he is a member on here. but if he had one, i would definitely think you would be able to put a wheel chair into the supra boot. Any if you took the space saver wheel out, you could have quite a large boot.

i remember a while ago on top gear, when they did the fastest disabled driver in the liana round the track. They were all in wheel chairs and one of them had a Supra TT.

Not sure if he is a member on here. but if he had one, i would definitely think you would be able to put a wheel chair into the supra boot. Any if you took the space saver wheel out, you could have quite a large boot.

Yeah Rob (roboldham), don't think he visits us much any more.