The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Legal Wattage For Bulbs

SuperSupra

Well I have them in mine and no problems, mind you not been through an MOT yet but I don't think bulb wattage is part of the MOT, I may be wrong

Mines are full beams as have HID lights in dipped headlights.

Think you're right about the MOT thing mate, they just test whether they all work I think. Can't really see how anyone would know if they're too high a wattage anyway without looking, cos they probably will only be the same as any new Merc/AM/Bentley etc.

Cheers matey

100W is illegal, iirc the legal limit is around 65W.

More watts does equil more heat but i dont think its enough to melt plastic headlights, i believe a few members run 100W bulbs and have not had a problem.

Chances of getting cought out are minimal i would have thought

hth :)

Yep they are illegal. I know the limit used to be 55 watts but it mat now be 60 watts. DVLA site or MOT site or whatever would be able to tell you. Its like the fact that all or most after market loud exhausts are illegal as they are louder than the stock item from factory but its not enforced. I imagine as long as the beam is aimed right the MOT station won't bother to check if they are too bright.

If you get stopped by an officious type federali you could get a fine for it.