The mkiv Supra Owners Club

going from a Lexus to a Supra

Guest rasputin

Guest rasputin

I have driven big Lexus cars for the past 10 years. I currently have a Lexus GS300 Sport, but am now into the Jap scene so much, that I'm lusting after a Supra.

Have sat in one, so I know I just about fit (6'2").

Am looking for a TT auto.

It's probably an old RZ that I can afford, but I was hoping someone might able to answer my Q.

Basically, I do some long distance driving, with quite a bit of town (speed bumps) driving, and the Lexus excels on the motorway, whilst being a good in town too. How do Supras compare?

If I want a Supra that is still comfortable for long drives, is there anything I should look for? (such as stock exhaust or stock 17 inchers)?

Thanks guys!

i bought my first supra about 10 days ago. the motorway drive was awesome, it gobbled up 200 miles no probs and gave decent fuel economy too. £60 to fill the tank and i did 300km's with over half a tank left. mine is an na auto though. handles speed bumps and pot holes fine as it has only been lowered on the rear.

Guest rasputin

Thanks. However, aren't the J spec cars fitted with a harsher suspension from stock than UK spec cars?

My Lexus is lowered by 1 inch, on 40 profile tyres and it's still pretty smooth round town though.

Guest rasputin
Or buy a Vertex, GS looks Supra performance

That is an option, and I could take my GS mods straight onto the Vertex. Have driven one on weekend, didn't feel the punch of the engine. It may be closer to 280bhp than 326bhp??

Although, just love the styling of the Supra and never had a 2 seater in my life...:tongue:

The aristo is a damn good car but it sounds like you want a bit more driving fun which a stock one just isn't. Modified aristo's are coming onto the market in Japan now and some look fantastic, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a middle ground when it comes to tuning aristo's japside, they are either stock or absolutely ridiculous.

N/A supras are on softer suspension than TT's but I guess you don't want an N/A as you technically already have one lol. You will always be able to pick up UK spec springs though which AFAIK are the softest. The one thing you do have on your lex that will be the envy of the supra crew is those sport rims that will just bolt straight onto your supe.

Guest rasputin
The aristo is a damn good car but it sounds like you want a bit more driving fun which a stock one just isn't. Modified aristo's are coming onto the market in Japan now and some look fantastic, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a middle ground when it comes to tuning aristo's japside, they are either stock or absolutely ridiculous.

N/A supras are on softer suspension than TT's but I guess you don't want an N/A as you technically already have one lol. You will always be able to pick up UK spec springs though which AFAIK are the softest. The one thing you do have on your lex that will be the envy of the supra crew is those sport rims that will just bolt straight onto your supe.

Cool mate, thanks for the info.

You mean these both of these wheels (I've now taken the sport wheels off and put the TRD chromes on) would bolt onto the Supe?

i have both cars 2* mk1 aristo / supra T, i find the lexus a pleasure on long runs and the comfort is excellent, the supra is designed to go fast and handle, so after 1 hour in the car , i feel i have hade 10 rounds with mike tyson . The aristo has been mod to produce 430bhp , and the handling has been improved with coilovers , uprathed bushes. The overall driveability is excellent, and the exhaust tone is excellent. I find that with the supra i get alot of attention with boy racers, but with the aristo no one hassles you.

The aristo has the supra performance but with space and the luxury that i wanted . i forgot to mention the supra that i have is a 700bhp beast compared to the 450bhp aristo , so there is a big difference, but the problem with the supra , once you have the bug then you catch it really bad. i get about 20-25 mpg on the aristo around town and motorways, i get about 15-18 mpg on the supra , but with the heavy foot maybe lucky to get 10 mpg.

The ideal car would be a modified aristo that does not look like a old mans car ,that has an auto box and produces 500-600hp with excellent driveability . Thats my other project.

DSCN1013.JPG

AristoDo-Luck(96).jpg

DSCN1032.JPG

DSCN1034.JPG

DSCN1035.JPG

it all depends on what you are used to and what setup you have on the car . My supra is modified and the suspension setup is very firm, i also run slicks on the car . If you were to get a supra tt, without going over the top with mods then is it a nice car for the motorway, but its really designed for 2 people and 2 midgets.

The aristo has been mod to produce 430bhp , and the handling has been improved with coilovers , uprathed bushes. The overall driveability is excellent, and the exhaust tone is excellent.

Off topic/Hijack alert

Was the car running that power when you bought it or have you since modded it?? I ask as I had first refusal and I think I'm about to cry some more about not buying it :(

Back on topic

Michels car is setup on aftermarket suspension so its ride will be significantly harsher than a stock vehicle.

Hi Brian , i have spent alot on the car since i got it , the body work as all been done properly now, all blended in , the suspension has been changed , as the original were leaking and bushed were damaged. I have de-cat the ariso with 3 inch exhaust system using the same box , boost controller , and all the other relavent mods done. Yes its a flying machine now and smooth.

the interior is so nice compared to alot of aristo i have seen , full leather even the roof and shelves / pillers.....iam presently getting the wheels offset brought closer to the body work so i can stick wider tyres on it ..

the pics are before the body work has been done , i have new pics

Aristo is great and tt is not much slower than a tt supra auto handling is not as good, i had an n/a supra before the aristo and got sick of the attention it got from tossers on the road, my Aristo is stock and is more than enough(although it is absolutely knackered at the moment), i like the sleeper element, especially as mine is badged as a lexus gs300, you can get Aristos at good prices compared to supra's so that is worth considering, good luck with it whatever you do, but make sure you check the car out thoroughly whichever way you go

Cool mate, thanks for the info.

You mean these both of these wheels (I've now taken the sport wheels off and put the TRD chromes on) would bolt onto the Supe?

[qimg]http://rasputin.smugmug.com/photos/70709523-M.jpg[/qimg]

[qimg]http://rasputin.smugmug.com/photos/80280651-M.jpg[/qimg]

Wow that Lexus is lovely! I wouldn’t mind one of those. My supra has an aftermarket exhaust and although I don’t do much motorway driving I have done a couple of 4 hour motorway trips and the supra did my head in. The drown from the exhaust was the main reason but after a while of feel every bump in the road it did get a bit annoying.

Guest rasputin
Wow that Lexus is lovely! I wouldn’t mind one of those. My supra has an aftermarket exhaust and although I don’t do much motorway driving I have done a couple of 4 hour motorway trips and the supra did my head in. The drown from the exhaust was the main reason but after a while of feel every bump in the road it did get a bit annoying.

hmmm..well if a supra TT owner ever feels like swapping for my lex..do contact me..please note that my lex is kinda pimped up right now (chrome rims, blue interior leds), and I'm about to add this...to the interior