The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how hard is it to remove the rubbers around the front/rear windscreens?

albundy68

are the screens not bonded in and the rubbers simply a surround?

I think the rear quarters are different tho

yup thats what i thoughbut could do with confirmation before i go rippin em out! lol

rear 1/4 mini window surrounds are a b-tch to get out, they dont usually remove them even with a full respray.

rear 1/4 mini window surrounds are a b-tch to get out, they dont usually remove them even with a full respray.

mine are out at the moment but i don't know whether they will put the old seals back in or put new ones in,hence the question. Mine were all scratched up and i could really do with new ones

mine are out at the moment but i don't know whether they will put the old seals back in or put new ones in,hence the question. Mine were all scratched up and i could really do with new ones

i'd reccomend gettin some un scratched ones before they pit the old ones back in mate.

jezzybabes above is the man you wanna speak to about gettin sum, they'll cost a fortune from toyota, but im sure jezz has some on one of his scrap supes.

i'd reccomend gettin some un scratched ones before they pit the old ones back in mate.

jezzybabes above is the man you wanna speak to about gettin sum, they'll cost a fortune from toyota, but im sure jezz has some on one of his scrap supes.

i may have to phone them and find out. I've had two new rear quarters so they really should have priced two new seals into the job? I'd hate to have a perfect paint job and old worn out trims. I know i can replace all the other trims without too much hassle when i get it back

Just letting you guys know that the rear quater lights come with the windows,They are fully encapsulated meaning the trim is non removable,The front windscreen trim is removeable but there is a possibilty of breaking the glass in the process as the trims are bonded in with the screen so once removed they need to be stuck back in using a polyurethane glue,Also because of the hardness of the trims they are better heated up and go in more smoothly,the back window trim should be alright to be removed from the screen by heating it up around it which should then give enough movment to remove it,Once the trim cools it will be back hard again so to put it back in the best thing to do is get a large plastic bag,Put a few large holes in it,Put the trim in the bag then close the end over a hair dryer and let it get warm in the bag for 5 minutes or so,If theres anything i missed then dont hesitate to ask!

my front seal just "ragged" out no probs, the rear was so hard i took the whole window out and i'me glad i did at each side at the bottom of the tailgate there was rust which had nearly spread to the extent it would start to be seen, i'me a bit confused with all this quarterlight seal bit, there is no seal they are a complete unit and i just drowned them in sikaflex bolted them back in and got the hose pipe to test, they are a PITA to remove but my man at the spray shop said they would be impossible to mask properly so out they came

i have just taken my rear hatch seal out and it was a nightmare,it was like bonded in,basically had to be ripped out,i just hope i can get the new seal in without taking the screen out,i was thinking of taking the front out as well but it could end up being a real headache getting them back in.does anyone know how much it costs for the front and rear seal?and part numbers?

cheers

i have just taken my rear hatch seal out and it was a nightmare,it was like bonded in,basically had to be ripped out,i just hope i can get the new seal in without taking the screen out,i was thinking of taking the front out as well but it could end up being a real headache getting them back in.does anyone know how much it costs for the front and rear seal?and part numbers?

cheers

the seals were about £30 each you should have no probs getting them back in as they are very flexible when new, i got mine from steve manley do a search on his name for his number

Is it possible to remove and replace the rear hatch glass yourself or do you need to get an autoglass company to refit?

I have a relpacement rear door and need to swap the glass over. Cutting it out shouldn't be a problem as i have a saw wire thingy that i've already made short work of removing the quarter glasses with. But i want to know if you can re-bond it yourself?

Is it possible to remove and replace the rear hatch glass yourself or do you need to get an autoglass company to refit?

I have a relpacement rear door and need to swap the glass over. Cutting it out shouldn't be a problem as i have a saw wire thingy that i've already made short work of removing the quarter glasses with. But i want to know if you can re-bond it yourself?

i took mine out myself but for £30 to re-fit it i got a pucka window fitter to do it

Handing over £30 sounds a lot easier! Who did you use?

just one of the local independant automotive window services (yellow pages) the guy lives just round the corner, i thought of buying a tube of proper seal (£15) but then had visions of the window blowing out on the M6 at 80mph so thought the extra £15good value, they dont just use sealer they also put a sought of primer on the glass and body so it didn't look a DIY job