The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Converting from auto to manual box question(s)

Pabs

hey peeps

Converting from an auto box to manual - how many of you have done this?

Basically I have a few questions on it that I'd like more info on if possible.

From what I understand, the auto is FAR more juicy than the manual - some threads state arond 10mpg difference. Correct?

So, if you remove an auto box, and replace with the 6-speed, I assume the mpg would be that of a manual, ie there are no other differences that would still affect consumption?

Also, for those that have done it - how much did it cost, all in? I have been really toying with the idea of an Aero supra, but they are only found in autos, so i'd like to do a conversion. Auto's also seem to be cheaper, so it could work out ok price-wise, and my brother knows his stuff with cars and has offered to help with the swap anyway.

Thanks all - sorry if they are dumb questions - i'm still learning!

Ive been looking into this as well. LeeT & Tlicense have both done this conversion. Where Lee iro spent around 1k doing it by slowly collecting all the parts and swapping it himself. Tony bought most of the bits new and cost around 6k i think to do it. Unless your extremely good at spannering then id sell the auto and buy a manual...far cheaper. Im going to be doing this conversion this winter and with 2nd hand parts its still going to cost me 1-2k but its something i want to do and will be fitting myself....

No that's bollocks.

I've got all three types (Auto, Tiptronic, 6sp manual)

Really? So what is the difference then - as i know autos are more juicy, just don't know HOW much difference there is.

I'm also assuming that the tiptronic is worse than the manual too, even in "semi-auto" mode as theres still no clutch for the driver...?

Really? So what is the difference then - as i know autos are more juicy, just don't know HOW much difference there is.

I'm also assuming that the tiptronic is worse than the manual too, even in "semi-auto" mode as theres still no clutch for the driver...?

i noticed no difference in mpg at all after the conversion

ok fair enough. Its not that I'm worried about the mpg, as I know these cars will make the wallet much lighter and very quickly too, but I always thought that the auto was worse just because of the technology involved (especially when "playing" with the car) and given that it makes the car heavier too.....

ok fair enough. Its not that I'm worried about the mpg, as I know these cars will make the wallet much lighter and very quickly too, but I always thought that the auto was worse just because of the technology involved (especially when "playing" with the car) and given that it makes the car heavier too.....

well if there were any differences they are negligible and i wouldn't base the purchase on it

• 5 weeks later...

Old thread revival....

A mate of mine here has been asked by a customer what's involved when swapping out an Auto box for a manual. I'm not sure of the car, some sort of Honda.

Obviously the cars are very different, but if I can point him to a tech thread here that details what needs to be done at least he'd have an idea of what components are involved, and a very rough idea of cost.

LeeT & TLicense - did you detail what was done in a tech thread, I can't find one... If a thread does exist can you point it out please :)

Old thread revival....

A mate of mine here has been asked by a customer what's involved when swapping out an Auto box for a manual. I'm not sure of the car, some sort of Honda.

Obviously the cars are very different, but if I can point him to a tech thread here that details what needs to be done at least he'd have an idea of what components are involved, and a very rough idea of cost.

LeeT & TLicense - did you detail what was done in a tech thread, I can't find one... If a thread does exist can you point it out please :)

Tonys was done by JPSmotorsport. i done mine mtself but didn't do a write up. Have a read here.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/auto_to_6spd_swap/index.html

technology has nothing to do with it mate im not quite sure what you mean by this? the auto will always sit at the lowest revs possible when cruising, so really should be slightly lower than the manual