The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to do.....

Guest the_boy

Guest the_boy

Hi guys / gals, first post and already have loads of questions :D

Basically been thinking about a Mk4 Supra for a while now and came on the site to peruse the For Sale section, grab some information etc

However it was from here I have come across the Aristo which under certain guises looks mean. With the 4 doors it's also a lot more practical which is perhaps what I should be looking at these days as my last 4 cars have all been 2 doors.

Apologies for posting here but there seems to be more posters on here with what I'm looking for than those on the lexus forum :search:

Think this is Dangerous Brain's car? Must admit the lack of over the top bodywork does make it look better especially with those wheels.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=44999&highlight=aristo

So my questions are:

What's the approx 0-60 times for these?

What's the average MPG on these things?

Being quite heavy I'm assuming the cornering ain't good, what's the turning circle like?

I live near Newcastle so I'd be looking to someone like Jurgen to get something similar, does anyone know a ballpark figure?

What are the service bills like?

In addition would somwhere like Envy be the best place to service the car?

Are there any major faults to look for?

What sort of insurance quotes are available, 32 with 6 years NCB?

What sort of performance modifications can be done, are they similar to that of the Supra?

I still haven't made my mind up just yet but I'm hoping someone helpful people can help me make up my indecisive mind.

Hi mate, I'm no expert on the Aristo but will try and help :)

- What's the approx 0-60 times for these?

> No idea! Will be quick, but less than a Supra.

- What's the average MPG on these things?

> Supra TT is around 20-22mpg so these will be slightly more

- Being quite heavy I'm assuming the cornering ain't good, what's the turning circle like?

> ?

- I live near Newcastle so I'd be looking to someone like Jurgen to get something similar, does anyone know a ballpark figure?

> They are very cheap compared to a Supra. I know a 2JZ-GTE engined one thats up for £3.5k down here.

- What are the service bills like?

> Same as Supra, engine and running gear are the same, which is where 90% of the service cost comes from. Supra's are IMO cheap to service, especially compared to similar powered cars.

- In addition would somwhere like Envy be the best place to service the car?

> A very good choice, the owner of Envy has a modded Aristo himself so will know them well.

- Are there any major faults to look for?

> Same as Supra. Just make sure the interioir isn't too worn, obviously they'll get more use than a Supra.

- What sort of insurance quotes are available, 32 with 6 years NCB?

> Should cost bugger all. At 29 yrs old my Supra costs £600 per year will a large mod list. ou should be able to get much less.

- What sort of performance modifications can be done, are they similar to that of the Supra?

> Exactly the same as the mkiv Supra if you have one with a 2JZ-GTE. BPU mods (circa £800) should see 400bhp. £5k might see you 650 bhp if you are careful.

OK well I now don't own that vehicle anymore ah aristo does. Its TOM the events moderator. He bought it from me and he lives near Newcastle so the car is in your area. Problem is that particular car will be nothing at all like a stock aristo. It sits lowered on coilovers on 19" rims the stock system is a variation of TEMS AFAIK so in stock format it will handle like a barge. turning circle is dreadfull btw. That car also has a competition spec 2 way drift LSD in it so it will hang the back out easier than a stock one. The economy if thats what you could call it is similar to a supe at around 20-21 mpg.

Its actually not that much heavier than a supra just think carrying an extra passenger permanently and you are most of the way there so performance over the supra is much of a muchness. Tuning options on the MK1 is the same as the supra but the mk2 with the VVTi lump in it is difficult as the ECU has to be replaced to allow BPU modifications.

Envy know that car and like said before as one of the guys gaz I think has one they are in a very good postion to advise you on all your tuning/maintainance requirements.

Insurance through sky was the same for that car as my TT aerotop 474 BHP BPU+++ supra was

Oh and the biggest difference between my old car and stock is that they are all auto this one was a manual conversion which makes all the difference.

Cheers for the replies guys :)

Argh...my last car was a Volvo C70 T5 with a horrendous turning circle. Don't know if I could go through that turmoil again.

Not too fussed if it's an automatic so long as I can do something about the handling.