The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flip paint in a Can

ManwithSupra

cant really advise on flip paint, but make sure its also heat resistant. I used Plastikote spray to do mine, but i did them gloss white with red hammerite paint and a fine modelling brush for the lettering :)

i used standard off the shelf aerosols and it has been fine with the heat for nearly 3 years now. I also think that you can buy this paint at halfords but as others have said it will be more than one colour aerosol. Also you can achieve a top class finish with an aerosol if you take your time

I am planning to take my time not just a quick paint job.

I am pretty trick with electroluminescent material - watch this space (not going to divulge what i am doing just yet)

I know some colours on a spark plug cover would look a bit chavy but i was looking for a very dark purple / black flip with a strong metal flake in it whether it will work is another matter still i will have a look at what hafrauds have to offer- thanks peeps.

Flip effects are created by a base of one colour and a laquer of another flip colour. They are EXTREMELY difficult to do with a professional spraygun (flip paint is usually, but not always, applied by robot) so forget it with a can :p

not quite right,

its a 2 part paint, normal base layer (on top of primer)

then a pearlescent layer which is mostly made up of the crystal pearly bits that make pearlescent normal paint, these pearly bits reflect the base colour differently from different angles.

the laquer is then applied on top as per any other paint job.

you can get the pearly flip to coat in little pots, because i have some to touch up my 'chavvy flip' trd gt3000 lol

not seen it in a sprey though...

If you use this paint http://www.rageextreme.com/products/illusion.asp

its known as cromaflair, and is quite simple to apply, final colour is dependant on primer/base colour which is then covered with the flip colour and then just 2K clear coat, its so easy that a friend of mine with a body shop says that its one of the easiest paints to do damage repairs on.

Hi all,

Does anyone know where i can get flip paint in a Areosol at all.

I am looking at doing my spark plug cover a different colour and i want to see if there are any colurs that would look good.

Any help would be great :)

You can get flip paint in an aerosol..

My dash in my NA I redid in a flip paint and it looked good.

If you are in hampshire then you are in luck. I went to a place called Paint Shop Products in Aldermaston, and they filled 4 aerosols for me.. They put the thinners in the paint and then filled the cans..

It isn't cheap mind you...

I am planning to take my time not just a quick paint job.

I am pretty trick with electroluminescent material - watch this space (not going to divulge what i am doing just yet)

I know some colours on a spark plug cover would look a bit chavy but i was looking for a very dark purple / black flip with a strong metal flake in it whether it will work is another matter still i will have a look at what hafrauds have to offer- thanks peeps.

liking the sound of that colour :) dont forget to post piccies when its done so we can all copy you lol :D

HI LADS I AM TALKING FROM MY EXPERIANCE I AM A FULL TIME CAR PIANTER AND I DID FLIP PIANTS ASS WELL .NOW THE FLIP PIANT IS BASE COAT BUT YOU NEED TO DO GOOD UNDER LAYER FROM IT THAT COVERS GOOD COUSE THERE IS SO PEARL IN THE TINTING THAT THEY DONT COVER THAT EASY AND THEN WHEN YOU LOOK AT IT AND YOU SEE IT COVERED YOU CAN APPLY THE 2 PACK LACUARE NOW IF YOU WANT TO PIANT SOMETHING LIKE ENGINE COVER FIRST YOU NEED IS A GOOD BASE FOR IT BEFORE THE BASE COAT(FLIP PAINT) AND THEN PUT LACUARE IF YOU GO WHERE THEY SELL CAR PIANT ASK FOR THE COLOR CHIPS AND IF YOU DONT FIND IT ASK HIM FOR IT THEN HE WILL TELL YOU WHAT BASE TO PUT UNDER AND ASK HIM TO PUT THE FLIP PIANT IN AEROSOL .I DID ENGINE COVERS WHIT 2 PACK I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM . I THINK ITS HELP FULL GUYS :cool: