The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam gears

Underworld

I'm not a techie, but my understanding is that they give you greater control when it comes to adjusting the timing.

Going by what else i understand the stock toyota ones are also very good and you therefore do not need to upgrade them unless it is a serious spec engine or you just want them to look bling

I'm not a techie, but my understanding is that they give you greater control when it comes to adjusting the timing.

Going by what else i understand the stock toyota ones are also very good and you therefore do not need to upgrade them unless it is a serious spec engine or you just want them to look bling

Yup most people fit adjustable cam gears only to have them set in the stock positions. They look nicer though.

They let you adjust the cam timing, not the ignition timing, just to avoid any confusion :) You can make each one open earlier or later (and thus close earlier or later) by up to about 10 degrees.

You can move your power and torque curves around with them, sacrificing top end for midrange grunt and vica versa, but usually the tradeoff is that you lose more in one than you gain in the other. So most people fit them for looks and spec-list fattening ;)

Once you mess with different cam configurations and big turbos though there may be some good gains in adjustments, although I don't know of any personally.

-Ian

I always thought that the more accurate your timing was, the more you could tune out of your car. Reliable accurate timing adjustments for the win ;) Stock ones are reasonable to be sure, but you cannot really adust them and they are always set in such a way to be so-so performance - taken as an average of a stock car with mass production manufacturing variations. I have some in the post, so will find out for myself soon enough :D

As ian says, its a bit of black magic when it comes to Cam timing. there are no set values i.e. 3+ ex -2 int. as they come into their owm when matched with cams and turbo. You really do need to spend time on a dyno and experimenting with different exhaust and intake changes to get the most out of them.

One thing that is overlooked though, when any engine block or head has been Decked/skimmed, that surface material removal procees in the end can actually effect overall cam timing - which can be dialled out with verniers.