The mkiv Supra Owners Club

105,000 miles. Head off or not?

Mcgoo

If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough!

:D

I'd run a bottle of STP total system cleaner (the silver one) into an empty tank, and then fill it half way up.

Then drive the car until it's almost empty again (reserve light is OK).

This will ensure that most nasty carbon deposits will have gone.

Then get a garage to do a leakdown test if you're feeling perky. If they are all close together and leakage is in the low teens, you're a star.

If they are all over the place and the numbers are high, then the head has got to come off.

Mine has more miles than yours and no indication that it needs to come off;)

If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough!

:D

I'd run a bottle of STP total system cleaner (the silver one) into an empty tank, and then fill it half way up.

Then drive the car until it's almost empty again (reserve light is OK).

This will ensure that most nasty carbon deposits will have gone.

Then get a garage to do a leakdown test if you're feeling perky. If they are all close together and leakage is in the low teens, you're a star.

If they are all over the place and the numbers are high, then the head has got to come off.

Mine has more miles than yours and no indication that it needs to come off;)

Is it ok to put a system cleaner through a car of that mileage ?

I've been told before that the carbon actualy 'helps' to hold things together in an older engine...but that is going back to when i had pinto engines.

..actualy 'helps' to hold things together in an older engine......

That usually refers to the lubrication system (sump leaks etc)

Here we're talking about combustion chamber deposits, usually around the valve stems, heads or piston surface.

Taking the head off and cleaning/lapping valves is the best option, but given the difficulty of doing this on the supra engine you may want to wait until your are forced to take it off.

As it says, my soops done 105k. Do i take the head off and have a clean up etc..Or leave well alone?

I'm putting on new tubbies and doing the valve stem seals anyway.

What do you think?

Mine has a 160 000 mile on it -and it runs like new!!. Just change oil every 3000 miles or so. No need to clean or run cleanning additives.

i did my stem seals when going single at about 100k and would 100% reccomend anyone to do it, yes my car ran "great" before i did it but the state of the valves both the seats and build up of rock hard crap on the stem (right where my new seals would be) gave me a warm fuzzy feeling i had not wasted my time, no magic potion in the world will shift this stuff and it certainly wont lap your pitted valve seats, do the job right and do it once

Guest gzaerojon
As it says, my soops done 105k. Do i take the head off and have a clean up etc..Or leave well alone?

I'm putting on new tubbies and doing the valve stem seals anyway.

What do you think?

am i right in thinking you would need to take off the head to do the stem seals anyway?

am i right in thinking you would need to take off the head to do the stem seals anyway?

Nope.

Brian (Soop Dogg) did his seals last weekend (ok, and part of this week) with the head on.

Do a search for Tony Licences 'How to' from a few moonths back.

:)

105k miles? If I owned a Corolla I wouldnt be worried about that much.. newbies.

:p I wasn't 'Worried' just thought while the car was off the road and I had my head under the bonnet......anyway most people suggest leaving it until I'm forced to.

I think I will do a compression check and look for any shite under the cam covers when I do the valve stem seals and decide then.

Thanks for you help guys.:)