The mkiv Supra Owners Club

total respray

jackso11

I have to get this done now as I am a muppet.

Reason:

small dent in passenger door, hardly noticable. Had my door card off messing with the speakers and thought....hmmmmm.....I could knock that out I rockon......result, cracked paint. $hit.

now there is a small mark on just about every panel I need to get 'touched up' and due to the broken paint I am getting my arse into gear about it.

just done this mate the front window is not a problem just pull out the trim that goes all the way round, the back window should have been no problem as well but the seal was so old it would not flex at all so that came out, the real problems are the two small rear side windows the sprayer man looked at them and was'nt happy, they really have to come out if you want a decent job as they are a bastard to mask if you aren't changing the colour you may get away with it

You'll be looking at circa £2000 for a full supra respray in the same colour. To change colour isn't a straightforward job and requires a lot more work and time clogging up the paintshop, hence the cost goes up.

If you don't want fugly tide marks you will need to take out the rear quarter lights but the seals round the windscreen and rear windscreen are flexible enough to be taped back and give a good finish.

Here's the problem though, the quarterlights are bonded units and can crack when you try to take them out. A decent paintshop will decline to do the job unless you waive their liability to replace any damaged glass. This sounds harsh but is because a typical body shop has a huge insurance excess ....... lets face it, if they dink you're car they'll just put it right and you'll never know! Anyway, huge excess ..... if they crack one of your quarter lights the replacement cost, which I seem to remember is something like £700 as it's a special part from Japan or something stupid, will more than wipe out their margin on the job ...... would you take on a job that had a realsitic possibility of costing you money ..... no, neither would I.

Right ...... here's the way to get around it ..... we looked at the insurance policy for the supe which stated that we had cover for ANY acidentally broken glass, not just wind screens. So I phoned the insurance company and told them we were getting some rust treated in the area of the quarter lights and would the accidental damage clause cover the paint tech dropping them in the work shop by accident. The short answer is yes however it did take a little pushing to get there as the insurance company said well could you not claim off the garage, to which I insisted no, and anyway, I want to claim off you !!!!! Finally I made sure that the call had been logged on the contact computer and got the work done.

It was a great job by he way and not broken glass but it's worth half an hour on the phone to give you peace of mind.

Hope this helps, you're welcome to pm me for my mobile number if you want to talk it through.

The question of colour changes has always made me wonder if it actually increases or decreases the value of our supe's?? I suppose a lot of it is down to the colour chosen for the car!

But has anyone changed from say red, to flip job or another "different" colour and actually seen the value of the car increase or at least recouped the costs of the spray job??:blink:

On the windows out i can only comment on one car i saw done which was dale's (boneyard) and marty who painted the car for him did a full windows out etc etc for him and it came back a luuurverly job!;)

I don't think a different colour change would ever add value unless everything was painted, I hate seeing red cars that have been resprayed a different colour because as soon as you see the engine bay it looks messy, black is the best colour to change from though...

Total respray usually equals a higher insurance premium which equals less sellable.

What you've got to remember is a modded car only really has a value for an enthusiast, ideally one who doesn't want to mod a car from scratch. The general public won't pay over the odds for a modded car. Now lets be honest, a trick paint job isn't a significant mod around her ...... doubling the bhp is getting there, but not just changing the colour.

I'd be gob smacked if anyone claimed a colour change even broke even when it came to selling a car.

I don't think a different colour change would ever add value unless everything was painted, I hate seeing red cars that have been resprayed a different colour because as soon as you see the engine bay it looks messy, black is the best colour to change from though...

My car is bronze 1a1 and the engine bay is not painted its the matt grey you find behind the trim panels that doen't get a spraying, so a colour change there would be easy i guess

I'd say a colour change generally devalues a car unless it's been done so well as to be as good as from the factory (or better). Then it might fetch more but only if the colour and car is noticably more desirable because of it to a buyer.

A car that reveals its original colour in places is a no-no for me at least but I'm not against repsrays in general.

i've been qouted approximatly £2000 for a same colour respray on mine a few times. But a friend of mine has just had theirs done for under a grand, and it looks perfect!

Yeah I don't understand why people pay £2k for a same colour respray. I know someone who will do mine for £700, ok it's cheaper because I know him but it wouldn't be much more otherwise. The guy's been respraying cars for over 15 years and does an excellent job and doesn't cut corners.