The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC is it worth it?

mr lover

W.hen set up correctly it isan excellent system. The new digi adjuster appears to be causing a few problems. I think people assume that because you have the little screen you dont need to connect it to a computer.

By only using the digi adjuster you are letting the system operate with RL's generic base dat, which most certainly will not be matched to the MKIV. If you have the digi adjuster you really need to purchase a link lead / adapter for an R323 socket or a USB.

Had mine two years and it was the first and best thing I ever purchased for my car. It has saved me on many occasions particularly on track days when you really notice it in action.

As Phil has mentioned, it is extremely important to set the unit up correctly for maximum benefit and safety.:)

I would not leave home without it...

For me it is more then just using it in wet conditions. Without RTLC even in bone dry conditions I get wheel spin. RTLC enables me to get the power down without wheel spinning for 1/8th of a mile.

Whenever I feel like being a hooligan or not caring about the cost of a new set of rear tyres, I switch it off.

I think it is actually called 'Fool' proof :) and for good reason too. As long as you do not act the fool and completely rely on it. I use it as a tool and am always aware of it's presence and I am ready to catch it if she steps out. I would rather have it then not.

Wow, about 350quid more than it cost me! (Mind you, I did fit it myself and got the unreal 1st mkivstore group buy)

I think it's fab. I wouldn't have got it at that price though.

After your demonstration Pete I'm after RLTC but as Lover says the cost is a little high, in fact I worked the total price out to £861 :(

RLTC6A - Standard System £502

Fields Harness - A replica fields harness £209

Fitting - £150 if Fields Harness is purchased

Total = £861

I know it's good but that's a hefty outlay.

maybe you should wait for the next group buy?

I've only recently installed it and I'm very impressed. Gone are the days where you are unsure exactly how much you can put your foot down for real fear the back end will step out sideways even at high speed and with this fear you end up going much slower. Now you can find the limits and see/hear RLTC in action when you get to them and let it feed out the power more progressively, knowing it is delivering the max power possible to the road (= faster).

it is just a tool though, like an LSD, new tires etc they only do so much, none are a silver bullet and you still need to know how to drive. Best thing is that it is very adjustable and can be turned off completely so you have complete control at your fingertips :)

considering how much most modding costs and how a lot of it gives very limited benifit, I'd say at costs starting from 500 upwards this is one mod that really is worth the money, and winter is on the way, just wait until the 'I crashed in the wet' threads start to appear again...

considering how much most modding costs and how a lot of it gives very limited benifit, I'd say at costs starting from 500 upwards this is one mod that really is worth the money, and winter is on the way, just wait until the 'I crashed in the wet' threads start to appear again...

That's true. I considered it as part of my insurance policy. For the sake of £400 it was worth the financial 'risk' to protect my vehicle in the wet.

maybe you should wait for the next group buy?

That is group buy prices :( It will have to wait awhile I think as I've just payed out for new suspension and new calipers all round. Safety is always first on my list hence the brakes and suspension taking priority over power mods. RLTC will now be next but will have to wait until next year by the looks of it, just in time for the good weather :rolleyes:

Is there no one you know (or you yourself) that could wire up the RL to the existing loom rather than spend £209 on a field harness ?

It might make it a bit more affordable and it's not too difficult ... well ok, it' a bit but not £209 more difficult :D

Shaun.

I think it depends on your driving style, if you like to have a play in the wet then it can certainly allow you to do so in comparitive safety, it can also allow you to get away with over exuberant driving

I haven't got it on my car mainly because when it is wet, i don't play :D

I haven't used the stock system for 2 years or so, i just unplugged it and have a throttle body to go on with it completely removed.

Although recent threads where people have spun on "oil" etc make you think that perhaps for the peace of mind, and what if scenarios it could help save you from a nsaty repair bill.

I haven't driven a car with racelogic so bear that in mind when looking at my advice ;)

I generally don't play in the wet either but:

In the cold sometimes I find it looks dry but turns out to be damp/slippery/patchy wet

also you read a lot of stories of people loosing it by complete suprise when they wern't even playing at all at low speeds...

think sometimes it is a mixture of the TT system (for those that still have it) and the massive low down torque a 3l turbo car can suddenly produce when the turbo pressure starts to go positive even at very low rpms

thanks for all the comments, one question how easy is it to fit yourself ?, i like to feel that i am pretty capable with the old tools, hammer etc :D

not too bad really, easier if you have the fields harness. A few hours work, best if you can solder too... If you can do usual jobs like install a stereo or new gauge then you will be fine

not too bad really, easier if you have the fields harness. A few hours work, best if you can solder too... If you can do usual jobs like install a stereo or new gauge then you will be fine

does not sound to bad, i have fitted sat nav, guages and even done a full blue dash conversion, so this should be a piece of cake :blink: , now i could be tempted