The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wadding in exhaust!!

black cat

the wadding is the stuff which does most of the silencing in your exhaust. as you loose it your back box will become louder.

I think its just a combination of fibre glass and a fireproof cotton type material.

Maybe best to either block up the hole which it is coming out of or try to pull out the rest of the stuff because there can be some long strands that can trail behind your car if it comes out in big pieces.

the wadding is the stuff which does most of the silencing in your exhaust. as you loose it your back box will become louder.

I think its just a combination of fibre glass and a fireproof cotton type material.

Maybe best to either block up the hole which it is coming out of or try to pull out the rest of the stuff because there can be some long strands that can trail behind your car if it comes out in big pieces.

so what your saying, is that iam gona look like a right tit if it starts hanging out the back...:blink:

Ha ha, I did this to my mum's old Clio. As a consequence of living in Jersey with our 40mph speed limit and her driving the car very slowly for years, the car never got booted. I got my hands on it one day and floored it and a huge and very impressive cloud of black smoke suddenly appeared behind me. I thought I was doing her a favour giving it a clear out and it was good entertainment so I kept accelerating, slowing, accelerating etc until the smoke had stopped. I drove to meet a friend and was mortified to find I had been dragging several meters of this stuff around for the last couple of miles! Cost me 30 quid in the end and a telling off from my mum!

Not a HKS exhaust by any chance is it black cat? Seems a common occurance (certainly with the older HKS models).

Yeah wear some gloves and pull as much out of there as you can. It probably means that the internal baffles in the back box have disintegrated, it'll probably be louder and you may want to look at getting a new one soon (although I went about a year after shooting all the wadding out the back at Elvington I believe :D). Decatting it won't have made any difference.

so what your saying, is that iam gona look like a right tit if it starts hanging out the back...:blink:

Been there, got the tshirt. It'll get nice and noisy too probably :D

Worst case I saw of this was may neighbours when it ravelled itself around the exhaust and acted as a heat conductor to the boot. This then melted paint, the interior liner and a nice dress. Bit close to the fuel tank too!!!