The mkiv Supra Owners Club

screamer pipe.

hodge

To be honest, the idea of a screamer pipe is tempting me to go single all on it's own :p I remember hearing one at Bovingdon (might've been Matt Harwood's car but not sure :conf:) and from a distance it sounded awsome, kind of like the new Aston V8 on full-pelt :D Whether or not I could live with one day to day is another matter!

To be honest, the idea of a screamer pipe is tempting me to go single all on it's own :p I remember hearing one at Bovingdon (might've been Matt Harwood's car but not sure :conf:) and from a distance it sounded awsome, kind of like the new Aston V8 on full-pelt :D Whether or not I could live with one day to day is another matter!

I love the sound my single makes. From the Chatter of the wastegate and the Hisssssh of my BOV, to the sound the sheer volume of air being pushed through the pipes makes and the screamer pipe. Completely transforms your car. I do wish now that i had some sound dampening though cos it sooooo much louder. Might make that a mod over the winter. Strip the interior and soundproof it.

What's it like for motorway driving Gareth? I take it it doesn't really make a difference until you're on full boost and the WG has to control the airflow?

Very loud. Can still hear the steroe but not amazingly. Then again i am only on stock speakers which i plan on upgrading at some point, that would make a difference. Must admit very long journeys can become a bit loud. It is incredibly loud on WOT but still very loud (louder than a TT) When "Cruising".

I seem to recall a car that had the screamer pipe extended and protruding out the side of the car behind one of the front wheels. Bet that scared the sh*t out of people walking down the street when you opened the throttle next to them.

I think PW has this before his recent makeover.

Photo's taken from Nov 2003 Jap Performance Mag - I had to dig it out.

P1020957.JPG

P1020962.JPG

Sorry to bring this up again but it's intrigued me now.... presumably the wastegate only has to bypass exhaust gas to the screamer pipe when you've reached your desired boost, be it 1bar, 1.4 etc.... so why is it noisier than a normal wastegate setup when you're cruising on the motorway well below that boost? :conf:

Sorry for the n00b questions everyone :p

• 1 year later...