The mkiv Supra Owners Club

XS Power and SS Autocrome?

Darren

yep they are the same company. cant speak for Supra Parts as i still drive an MR2, but a lot of MR2 owners have found that the intercoolers are very good for the price, however its the down pipes and manifolds that are worth steering clear of. One chap on mr2oc fitted an XS power downpipe and it cracked within a week.

like i said i cant speak for supra parts but thats pretty much the MR2 community view on things.

I have one of their tubular manifolds working for a few months on a Skyline, BUT!!!! I made proper drop link supports for the turbo and wastegate. MUCH cheaper than a "proper" manifold, which is circa 3k, and for a weekend fun car maybe an option? I also have a brand new TO4 flanged one for a 2JZ-GTE engine for sale, cheap

I have one of their tubular manifolds working for a few months on a Skyline, BUT!!!! I made proper drop link supports for the turbo and wastegate. MUCH cheaper than a "proper" manifold, which is circa 3k, and for a weekend fun car maybe an option? I also have a brand new TO4 flanged one for a 2JZ-GTE engine for sale, cheap

So if I understand, you stengthened/braced it to cut down on flexing and cracking?

Cheers for the head up of info on the f1 turbo, i'm using a greddy anti heat coated (2k :D ) manifold which i've heat wrapped too but it will have a fair size turbo on it, so i'm going to do what you've done to reduce stress on the manifold, how think should the rods be as i can get this from work :) :cool: s/steel is best i guess.

Thanks chris :cool:

I used decent mild steel, avoid alloy as it expands too much. 3/8 or 10 mm is plenty thik enough. Use cheap phosphor bronze lined rod ends, no need for aerospace stuff! Try and support the turbo and wastegate around their C of G, although you may have to compromise somewhat due to logistics of space, clearance and suitable support points. DON'T make the mistake of hanging off the shell, strut brace or anything that isn't the engine or bellhousing, as the engine is rubber mounted... ;)

I did zilch to the manifold itself, I suspended the turbo and wastegate on rod ended support rods from a cradle off the cam boxes. It's all well documented, they overcame cracking like this as far back as the 80's F1 turbo era. You can see how they did it at ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/F1_turbo

The tripod shaped bit in the photos? Grey colour?

I used decent mild steel, avoid alloy as it expands too much. 3/8 or 10 mm is plenty thik enough. Use cheap phosphor bronze lined rod ends, no need for aerospace stuff! Try and support the turbo and wastegate around their C of G, although you may have to compromise somewhat due to logistics of space, clearance and suitable support points. DON'T make the mistake of hanging off the shell, strut brace or anything that isn't the engine or bellhousing, as the engine is rubber mounted... ;)

It's great my turbo (garratt gt4088-special) appears to have a support bracket built onto it and it will be in a perfect position for some 10mm rod to go through, i will be able to get me hands on some too infact we always have it in at work :) will do exactly what you have done in pic.

cheers chris your a legend :cool:

Am I right in saying that XS Power and SS Autocrome are not the same company? And that XS Power parts are better quality than SS Autocrome? Its just that SS Autocrome seem to sell/list XS power parts on Ebay?

I'm lost now! Anyone confirm? :(

http://www.xs-power.co.uk/ Never answers the phone.

http://www.ssautochrome.com/

Both use all the same bits. I've got a link to forum discussing these kits and the companies that make them, and it echoes Chris's points and beyond.