How much to go single?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How much to go single?

• Under 2k
    • 2-4k
    • 4-8k
    • 8-10k
    • more than 10k

The trouble with a poll like this is what exactly you mean by going single. For some people you just slap on a cheapy turbo, manifold and simple airflow fudger and that's a single setup, doesn't matter if it doesn't really run that well, has a dodgy cold start etc etc. For others it means optimising the potential with cams, a decent turbo, sufficient cooling and more importantly mapping properly with correct ignition timing etc. And there are those who would insist on engine internals etc too.

Personally I don't see the point in simply bolting a turbo on, I want it to be drivable every day to and from work, and also survive track days. I also want boost to come in very early, and I want to get the most out of it as possible in terms of optimised fueling and timing. I also need it to be reliable. So I guess I'm at the top end of the second camp above.

Also, I fitted mine myself, and sourced all the components myself because none of the kits fitted my requirements exactly. So there were no labour charges for that.

It depends on what you're starting out with. Boggo standard j-spec is likely to be 10k. If you've already got bigger UK spec injectors and decent fuel pump, FMIC (or uprated SMIC), exhaust, decent clutch etc. etc. which a lot of BPU supes out there already have then you're a few grand cheaper. I'd say 7-8k for a small single.

I am up to now £5000 that is:

PHR Stage 1

PE 650cc injectors

FPR

HKS fuel Pump

FMIC

Custom Hard Pipes

E-manage Ultimate

AFR

Mapping

All fitted by myself.

But I bought already the following option I thought that I would need cost £2320:

RLTC with Digital Adjuster + Launch control

AVCR

R2D2 BOV

UK Brake upgrade + racing pads etc

Lexus GS300 Sport Alloys new tyres :)

CW Field Harness

Mongoose Exhaust

So total of £7320 I am not finished yet either! :D

There a lot of money to be saved in the actuall parts sourcing and purchasing too. The most expensive option is usually kits aleady out there on the market. aslo knowing when a generic brand can be used in place of a "named" brand without effecting quality and reliabilty.

For instance, the turbo side..

Garrett GT35r or GT4088R £900+ shipping

Ebay Manifold Then do you own bracing and cut of wastegate flange and reweld Vband clamp £150

Tial 44mm wastegate + Vbands £180 + shipping

Oil feed + water feeds,tubby flanges, and fabbing return flange etc £180

Fabbing own 3" DP including o2 bosses £80

Just a rough example - if you can do the DIY end and look for your own bits

The trouble with a poll like this is what exactly you mean by going single. For some people you just slap on a cheapy turbo, manifold and simple airflow fudger and that's a single setup, doesn't matter if it doesn't really run that well, has a dodgy cold start etc etc. For others it means optimising the potential with cams, a decent turbo, sufficient cooling and more importantly mapping properly with correct ignition timing etc. And there are those who would insist on engine internals etc too.

Personally I don't see the point in simply bolting a turbo on, I want it to be drivable every day to and from work, and also survive track days. I also want boost to come in very early, and I want to get the most out of it as possible in terms of optimised fueling and timing. I also need it to be reliable. So I guess I'm at the top end of the second camp above.

Also, I fitted mine myself, and sourced all the components myself because none of the kits fitted my requirements exactly. So there were no labour charges for that.

This was my own plan too Simon, iirc you went the route that Eyefi went, and the same route i would go. The purpose of this thread was to determine what sort of costs most go for.

I most certainly wouldnt want to just 'whack on a big blower' for the sake of having one, and for this reason have spent 6 months considering the options. i am still not yet fully decided and as such its a long term project!

Agree :(

I pass him every day (opposite direction natch, I couldn't pass him in the same direction:d) so what I'll do is swerve across the road, make him stop and then implore him to offer his technical advice on here. Hell, I'd even pay for his membership.

He really seems to know his stuff and I wissh I could take my car to him for any work. :(

I remember the first time I met him. I'd just pulled onto the DCW from Ossett to Wakefield. I saw him going the opposite way and I was about to have a run against a GT4.

Just as we were about to go for it Eyefi comes blatting past and me and GT4 bloke played catch-up for a couple of miles. I caught him at the lights and he was playing with his laptop.

Here is the thread.

This was my own plan too Simon, iirc you went the route that Eyefi went, and the same route i would go. The purpose of this thread was to determine what sort of costs most go for.

I most certainly wouldnt want to just 'whack on a big blower' for the sake of having one, and for this reason have spent 6 months considering the options. i am still not yet fully decided and as such its a long term project!

Yes, pretty much.

It's difficult to say I think because it's difficult to separate out the costs of the single from everything else. It's scary when you add it all up too!

holy crap i cant beleive the sums of the money being talked about here, i did the actual conversion for about £3000 the only thing i bought new was the turbo, i did all the work myself but did have an intercooler and a lot of supporting stuff prior to the conversion, if you want to spread the cost i would reccomend building up to the conversion and buying bits as and when you find them, beware though i have just spent another £2000 on a Boostlogic built auto and high stall as the single toasted the box, my wife reckons it would be cheaper if my "hobby" was crack cocaine lol