The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What can I do?

Guest freddyk

Guest freddyk

Here is my story, before asking any further questions to all supra owners:

I am living in a block of flats in this very expensive and reputable apartments as a tenant in Bromley, Kent area. We have 2 private closed garages and security. What happened to me is that one morning I woke up to goto work(yesterday) and when I came to the garage, I saw a big whitish stain on my silver supra (left side w:1'' to h:4''). First I think someone sprayed my car or something but that couldnt happen as it's a private garage. Later yesterday I realized that this is not a paint but a kind of adhesive which leaks & drips from the ceiling of the garage. In the evening, I've found several parts of the garage ceiling which looks like a biological cave with white stalactites.

So this happened yesterday and today I bought T-Cut original and T-Cut fast colour (silver), tried like 10 mins without any success.

My question is in this funny but tragic situation, how can I remove this white sh*t from the body of my soop? What can I do if I cannot remove it? Can I claim spraying expenses of my car from the building management?

Any ideas about removing this material and/or legal advices for ignorant management will be so appreciated.

Thanks a bunch

freddy

Guest freddyk

Yes I will take the photos of the ceiling, supra and maybe other cars who've been affected, before I do anything.

Will try a tar remover then. Do you have a particular one that you prefer?

Guest freddyk

Wow, this forums response time is fast as our cars :)

I will buy autoglym tonight before i go home thena and I will post the pictures here as soon as I take them tonite.

Guest freddyk

So tonite I will try autoglym intensive tar remover and maguiers quick clay, after the photo shots. I will send you the pictures before and after the process. Thanks a lot everyone.

others on here will be able to best advise you with regards to removing/fixing the damage but you need to sort out the cause first to prevent it happening again. Working in the property industry i can tell you most management companies are imcompotent bollock jugglers. Id get on the blower to them first and take pics and write to them formally. You could spend £000's fixing your car only for the same thing to happen again.

Guest freddyk
others on here will be able to best advise you with regards to removing/fixing the damage but you need to sort out the cause first to prevent it happening again. Working in the property industry i can tell you most management companies are imcompotent bollock jugglers. Id get on the blower to them first and take pics and write to them formally. You could spend £000's fixing your car only for the same thing to happen again.

You are very right m8, I will write a formal letter tonight and now park the car on better areas of the garage after I sort out the problem and until the company fixes the ceilings, I can get other residents to write letters as well which maybe more effective. What do you think?

that would be ideal yes but make sure you are persistent in your case as most WILL try and fob you off....and try and get your landlord to write to them too...its what he pays his service charges/ground rent for in the first place...to maintain the place. Good luck. lemme know if you need any advice

Sounds like you have the same issues as me.

The underground parking with my apartment has the same drippy stuff.

I've been told its the limestone seeping through the concrete? I'm no builder but I do know I don't want that shit on my TVR!

Called the management company, they will sort it but will take time, as its a new build they have the NHBC gurantee stuff so the original builders are liable.

Is your apartment a new build? In which case its likely to be the same problem.

Luckily we have some spare slots in the car park so I park well away.

All weather car cover until the matter in the garage gets sorted. ;)

that sounds like some good advice...

we have the same problem with our car park at work... we just don't use the spaces that 'drip'.... must be the glue holding the building together....

Guest freddyk

Very good advices, probably I will buy a car cover for the garage.

I took some pictures last night, my car, a car which is totally trashed and luckily bumped to him and talked a little. He got frustrated too, so will be writing an official letter and get some signatures from neighbours before sending it.

Then I took the picture of the ceilings, could not post them to here until tonite as I am in work. Then tried t-cut and autoglym tar remover on it, i removed just a small part of the stain but it's still there. Couldnt find clay bar in halfords yesterday will go again today and i hope it sort the problem out. Will let you know what will happen after that. Thanks a lot. Everyone is so helpful here.

Freddy, the bit in red should make all the difference to sorting the physical problem of the garage as there should be a clause within the contract to stipulate that the building (residential or garage) is built to a satisfactory standard. Clearly, the situation where your car is being damaged is not a good one and it does require an immediate resolution!

If I can ask, (under the terms of your tenancy agreement); did you first have the garage inspected for usability and structural deficiencies (I don't mean a formal inspection but a check by you and the letting agency/owner to verify if things were OK before you moved in?).

Cheers buddy, Andrew

I am living in a block of flats in this very expensive and reputable apartments as a tenant in Bromley, Kent area.

Guest freddyk
Freddy, the bit in red should make all the difference to sorting the physical problem of the garage as there should be a clause within the contract to stipulate that the building (residential or garage) is built to a satisfactory standard. Clearly, the situation where your car is being damaged is not a good one and it does require an immediate resolution!

If I can ask, (under the terms of your tenancy agreement); did you first have the garage inspected for usability and structural deficiencies (I don't mean a formal inspection but a check by you and the letting agency/owner to verify if things were OK before you moved in?).

Cheers buddy, Andrew

No, unfortunately we did the inspection just for the flat.

So you mean I can't claim anything because I am a tenant there. What a shame, if that's the case but what about the neighbours who are actually owners of these flats, they have the same problem. If I write one letter and collect signatures from them, will it work?

thanks a lot for pointing it out before i do anything

Quite the opposite mate. You must first read your tenancy agreement and see what it stipulates, thereafter; you'll need to get on to the point of contact that is dealing with the tenancy agreement (i.e. the intermediately).

Regardless of what is written, it should be stipulated to whoever you contact that your personal property should not be damaged by the sub-standard build quality of their property. It would be advisable to have some sort of financial estimate for the cost of repairing your Supe's paintwork at hand during this process, including photo's of the car and the garage).

There is a chance that they will be liable for all (or partial) damages, but you 'may' have to investigate the contract terms and manipulate their good will!

Failing that, just don't pay any more rent and claim squatters rights!! (ha ha)

No, unfortunately we did the inspection just for the flat.

So you mean I can't claim anything because I am a tenant there. What a shame, if that's the case but what about the neighbours who are actually owners of these flats, they have the same problem. If I write one letter and collect signatures from them, will it work?

thanks a lot for pointing it out before i do anything

Freddy 'n' Nish,

I have exactly the same issue with my underground parking. The stalactites are some form of limescale, and seems to be common in new-builds. The shit does come away with watered-down descaler, but DONT use it too often if you value your paintwork. The tradeoff is, you need to get the stuff off your car because it bonds to your paintwork if you leave it there too long.

I'm also in the process of complaining to the management and the getting the NHBC involved... because my bonnet just won't take much more of this. In fact, the whole car might need a respray ;)

For now, lay a rag over the area when you park up. Just remember to take it off before you rip down the road :blush: