The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why did i get beat by a mr2 ( video inside !)

Guest Supra_Kid

Plenty of quick ones around but the weird thing is that he appears to have got a slower start than you, I'd expect him to have you on the launch and then for you to be catching at the end, it seems to be the wrong way around.

Plenty of possible reasons why he beat you.

what has he had done to it you need to find out.

he should beat you off the line and you should have him at higher speed if its stock racing stock.He will probably have you over a short distance from a standing start due to excellent traction off the line.

Guest Supra_Kid
what has he had done to it you need to find out.

he should beat you off the line and you should have him at higher speed if its stock racing stock.He will probably have you over a short distance from a standing start due to excellent traction off the line.

i think he has a stage 3 hybrid turbo ,de cat, charge cooler, light flywheel , rev 3 engine conversion,blitz dump valve , uprated spark plugs, scorpion twin exit exhaust and hks induction kit, so slightly modded lol,

Anyone wanna give me dragging tips , ie should traction control be on (sily question maybe but i herd its better off ) and what about overdrive. and and because it automatic am i better leaving it in drive and having one foot on brake and one foot on accelator. or just leave it in neutral then go !!

i think he has a stage 3 hybrid turbo ,de cat, charge cooler, light flywheel , rev 3 engine conversion,blitz dump valve , uprated spark plugs, scorpion twin exit exhaust and hks induction kit, so slightly modded lol,

Anyone wanna give me dragging tips , ie should traction control be on (sily question maybe but i herd its better off ) and what about overdrive. and and because it automatic am i better leaving it in drive and having one foot on brake and one foot on accelator. or just leave it in neutral then go !!

get your TC off straight away....thats kind of mandatory for drag racing

get a de-cat, decent exhaust, some gauges to monitor stuff and check your IC for wear!!

apart from that, you can drag start by power breaking.....do a search for this, but I would'n recommend to many of this or you will fry your transmission fluid and box!!

if you do want to do a lot of drag racing starts like this, get a line lock kit

My MR2 used to destroy my Supra off the line. Used to eat it to the ton too.

Results from 5 Vmax days (variables like wind direction make the biggest difference, so it's not a scientific test, but it'll give you an idea- I'll put speeds from the same 450bhp 996TT as a control car)

Vmax4-MR2 244bhp 150mph (996 192mph)

Vmax6 MR2 272bhp 146mph (996 178mph)

Vmax7 Supra 330bhp 149mph (996 178mph)

Vmax8 Supra 330bhp 153mph (996 180mph)

Vmax12 Supra 357bhp 153mph (996 183mph)

Note: Vmax4 had a tailwind like a hurricane, Vmax12 my intercooler was shot)

Guest Supra_Kid
Vid not working as you might alredy know :)

There is a HKS tuned Mr2 in sweden with about 400-500 bhp.

Its very fast, and they dont weight to much.

Check out what he have under the hood mate

i think he has a stage 3 hybrid turbo ,de cat, charge cooler, light flywheel , rev 3 engine conversion,blitz dump valve , uprated spark plugs, scorpion twin exit exhaust and hks induction kit

5.7sec for the early revision 1 and 2 cars and 5.2 sec for the revision 3 and onwards actually.

Just quoting this(my original quote was US figures from a website i found)

The turbo starts to kick in at 2800 r.p.m. untill it's full impact is made felt at 3500 r.p.m.

It's a gradual build up of power so you can drive the car very relaxingly round town.

The car really feels secure when it's pumping out it's bonkers amount of power. Jap official figures are 0-60 of 5.2 seconds , it certainly feels it , but official figures are always on a lovely smooth test track in perfect conditions. So to be honest i'd say (running on super unlead fuel 98 octane -- optimax shell -- ) about 6 is realistic. I'm bound to be biased, but Subaru gives it's Turbo imprezza very impresive figures, yet when racing my mates y am i having to back off the accelerator before i have an impact on his nice rear bumper? When there's space to overtake, he's absolutely gutted as i pull away as he's trying his damnedest to play keep up/catch up !!

Guest dee_rz

my friend has a very strong full bpu mr2 which he just getting rid of now and i have or had a supra running 0.8 bar on stock turbos but bpu level and it's quite even to 100 if anything he's just ahead then after 100mph i'll pull pretty easy from him, it's a rev 3 too :) it shows too on 1/4 where i just pip him to post

13.3 @105 rev 3 bpu mr2

13.0 @111mph stock j spec turbo running only 0.8 but bpu