The mkiv Supra Owners Club

American cars + stuff

Underworld

After getting back from my trip to Canada, I conclude the majorety of American cars are poo. Not only that all the fuel you get over there is like 87-91 ron. They advertise the 91 as their performance! :O

My Dodge Magnum had no performance either. Brand new 3.5 liter with no power!!!!! The only nice cars I saw were a few corvettes and a few mustangs, and a BIG modded dodge ram :p

Thank you for your uneducated and narrow-minded opinion. :complain: That being said, everybody is entitled to their opinion. "Freedom of Speech?" However, making a statement like that is like saying that I've just been to England and the majority of Brits eat shitty food and have bad teeth. :wakeup: There are tons of f*cking great cars in the U.S. if you know where to look. Now you have my opinion. :D Where were you, Kentucky?

There are some belters but it has to be said there is a lot of tat out there too.

When i was over i toddled round in a 2.5 (?) Oldsmobile, quite a new one, nice rims etc, trouble was it couldn't even get up a hill without slowing down. OVH single cam job. While the engines are big because the fuel is so cheap they aren't very advanced and don't generate that much power.

I'm not talking about special cars and things with like HEMI units but this was the equivalent of a Mondeo and it couldn't climb a hill. Where's all the DOHC 24v VTEC etc etc stuff?

m.

Thank you for your uneducated and narrow-minded opinion. :complain: That being said, everybody is entitled to their opinion. "Freedom of Speech?" However, making a statement like that is like saying that I've just been to England and the majority of Brits eat shitty food and have bad teeth. :wakeup: There are tons of f*cking great cars in the U.S. if you know where to look. Now you have my opinion. :D Where were you, Kentucky?

Wo dude. Guess Jezza Clarkson ain't getting a xmas card from you this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Worse then Kentucky. he was not even in the States. It was Canada, land of the bored.

There are some belters but it has to be said there is a lot of tat out there too.

When i was over i toddled round in a 2.5 (?) Oldsmobile, quite a new one, nice rims etc, trouble was it couldn't even get up a hill without slowing down. OVH single cam job. While the engines are big because the fuel is so cheap they aren't very advanced and don't generate that much power.

I'm not talking about special cars and things with like HEMI units but this was the equivalent of a Mondeo and it couldn't climb a hill. Where's all the DOHC 24v VTEC etc etc stuff?

m.

You were most likely driving a hire car ? All you can expect then is mostly show and no go. Why would the hire company want to spend the extra $$ for the " DOHC 24v VTEC etc etc stuff " when the average person who is renting the car does not even know or care. It does not make much business sense to the hire companies to spend the extra cash on stuff like that. Would you have paid more for the hire of the car if it had those bits.... ;)

The other thing is you picked one of the worst car makes to do a comparison on. Oldsmobile's are not exactly known as a performance oriented car.

He was not even in the States. It was Canada, land of the bored.

You were most likely driving a hire car ? All you can expect then is mostly show and no go. Why would the hire company want to spend the extra $$ for the " DOHC 24v VTEC etc etc stuff " when the average person who is renting the car does not even know or care. It does not make much business sense to the hire companies to spend the extra cash on stuff like that. Would you have paid more for the hire of the car if it had those bits.... ;)

The other thing is you picked one of the worst car makes to do a comparison on. Oldsmobile's are not exactly known as a performance oriented car.

God, I didn't even catch that. (Que Chris Farley scene) *slapping forehead* "Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!"

Very good point though.

:D Definitely not dude. I don't like the fat, ignorant, if-it's-not-an-Aston-it's-sh*t touting moron. I love the show though, and it would suck if he wasn't on it.

Fair play though mate, he does drive the gt40.

A tad hypocrytical?

i was watching some of the old Top Gears the last few days, and clarkson had a GT-40 and a Ford-GT side by side. he can't get into a GT-40 (it's only 40inches high), his head stuck out the top, lol.

he can get in the Ford-GT (i think he said it's 43inches) and has one of the small number.

kinda depressed me as i always wanted to go in a GT-40 but know i won't fit in either.

do wonder how he got the job, the way he drives like a moron. he tested some mercedes the other day (maybe the mclaren-mercedes), and on a single carriageway, overtook one car, then two, then he did three in one go, and had no idea if the road was clear in front of the third before he started.

Not saying i was expecting a tarmac terrorist but i was expecting a car that could manage a hill especially with a 2.5 litre engine in it.

If i hired a car here i'd appreciate it had been abused but i'd expect a 4 seat car like a Vectra or a Mondeo and, SHOCKER it would be able to do the job it was built for.

If it is church taxi why a 2.5 engine? That was my point. Surely a good 1.6 16v would be lighter, more economical and (god forbid) be able to actually pull the car so why don't US manufacturers fit them as a matter of course or can they not use the bargain basement fuel?

Like i said there are some belters out there but most seem to be performance orientated. We seem to do much better on the good quality standard car side of things. Might be way the US car market is going titsup.com with even the home market buying Japanese or German.

m.

Not saying i was expecting a tarmac terrorist but i was expecting a car that could manage a hill especially with a 2.5 litre engine in it.

If i hired a car here i'd appreciate it had been abused but i'd expect a 4 seat car like a Vectra or a Mondeo and, SHOCKER it would be able to do the job it was built for.

If it is church taxi why a 2.5 engine? That was my point. Surely a good 1.6 16v would be lighter, more economical and (god forbid) be able to actually pull the car so why don't US manufacturers fit them as a matter of course or can they not use the bargain basement fuel?

Like i said there are some belters out there but most seem to be performance orientated. We seem to do much better on the good quality standard car side of things. Might be way the US car market is going titsup.com with even the home market buying Japanese or German.

m.

If you had chosen a GM or Ford then you would have had Vectra/Mondeo 4 seater specs/performance. The Oldsmobile is the worst (No Joke) US car manufacturer mate. I bet the hire company got a real good deal on them. ;)

Sounds to me like you picked the wrong hire company or just went for the cheapest option... :)

Sure it would, but it doesnt sit at 1.5k revs at 70mph making no noise at all... not what you want in a car built for cruising and powering an automatic (most likely).

if i went to the usa and they gave me a mondeo or vectra for a hire car id be fekin one upset puppy...id want the big engine! ozone crushing automatic monster and cheap fuel!!or whats the point,id wana sample america,theres no way id goto italy and order sausage egg and chips;)

Maybe I'm uneducated and narrowminded (;) ) but the majority of cars in the States are just plain ugly. When I went to Florida I was shocked at how undesirabe every single car on the road was.

Mitsubishi even changed a perfectly good FTO and turned into an ugly Eclipse just for the yanks.

That said the Corvette is an absolute beast and I love the big Dodge Ram pickups. I wish my Mitsubishi Animal sounded like the Ram.

Maybe I'm uneducated and narrowminded (;) ) but the majority of cars in the States are just plain ugly. When I went to Florida I was shocked at how undesirabe every single car on the road was.

Mitsubishi even changed a perfectly good FTO and turned into an ugly Eclipse just for the yanks.

That said the Corvette is an absolute beast and I love the big Dodge Ram pickups. I wish my Mitsubishi Animal sounded like the Ram.

I think the fto looks bollox compared to the eclipse:tongue:

They use different ratings for their fuel, its not rated in RON, its MON and 93 MON is something like 99 RON.

Not quite, in the US the octane rating is (RON+MON)/2. 91 over there is the equivalent of super unleaded here. Some places sell 93 which is the rough equivalent of V-power here.

They do have some ugly cars in the US (the Aztec anyone?), but thinking about it Europe has them beat with the Multipla, Berlingo, Kangoo, etc.

US cars tend to be bigger, so tend to have bigger engines, which can cruise at very low revs actually getting respectable mpg. The trend is definitely turning towards smaller cars though, as gas prices rise. Toyota have even launched the Yaris there now (although they've made a much bigger saloon version of it too!)

:looney: