The mkiv Supra Owners Club

replace front seat cushions

stevie_b

I've got replacement seat cushions for my front seats, because my existing cloth seats are looking tatty. The new cushions are complete with springs and frame to bolt them onto the seat tracks.

Do I need to remove the front seats completely in order to change the cushion parts? I've read a thread on here about how to remove the seats, but it described pulling the plastic trim off of each corner: isn't that screwed on? Some of the screws (e.g. LHS of driver's seat) butt right up against the transmission tunnel, so I can barely touch the screw let alone get a screwdriver onto it.

Also, how does the driver's seat adjustment knob come off? I've tried pulling the knob gently (insert joke here), but it wouldn't shift. Looks like the centre of it might come out, but I've tried that too with no luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Do I need to remove the front seats completely in order to change the cushion parts? I've read a thread on here about how to remove the seats, but it described pulling the plastic trim off of each corner: isn't that screwed on? Some of the screws (e.g. LHS of driver's seat) butt right up against the transmission tunnel, so I can barely touch the screw let alone get a screwdriver onto it.

Also, how does the driver's seat adjustment knob come off? I've tried pulling the knob gently (insert joke here), but it wouldn't shift. Looks like the centre of it might come out, but I've tried that too with no luck.

Well if you can't unscrew the plastic sides with the seats still in the car, then I think you've answered your first question yourself.

I would want to remove them to do this anyway, you're not saving any time leaving them in.

As for the adjustment knob, which one are you refering to?

• 2 months later...

Sorry resurrecting old-ish thread!

I'm still having trouble geting my front seats out of the car. Are these the clips I need to remove before undoing the bolts that hold the seat in? (see pic) If so, how do the clips come off? Mine seem pretty well in there. I'd rather not bust them off if I can help it.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/stevie-b/frontseat1markedup.jpg

(PS before anyone says it, yes I'll treat my car to a valet for xmas!)

Yep, Them's the ones.

They are clipped in at the front & back of the trim piece. What you need to do is get a screwdriver under the front and lever it back and up. You can do this from the side. This releases the clip, sort of bending the trim piece in the middle.

It looks harsh, but it will pop out no prob. Getting it back is slightly harder!

Once the trim is off get the bolts out & job's a good 'un.

Should be 5 mins per seat.

Guest blueangel

to replace the seat covers you will need to cut the hog rings with wire cutters these hold the fabric tight. once off the whole seat unit will come off and then you hog ring the new 1 back on.