The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best Exhaust For Turbo Supras

Markie

Hi all,

Any views on what the best exhaust is for the Turbo'ed Supra?

I currently have a Greddy TI. But after yesterday and a few too many fire spiting/banging showing off I think the back box is shot.

Sounds rattly like I have a leak somewhere.

So, just wondering what size and exhaust is best for power and if possible silent on the motorway drive?

Looking for something to go with a single tubbie also, as this winter is upgrade time, so does that mean 3" or 4" be best?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus.

With turbo cars bigger is normally better, less back pressure means faster spool :)

True. But unless you're running a single turbo there's no point getting a 4" over a 3". There's probably not even any improvement over the standard 2.5" diametre if you're on stock turbos.

As for which is best, mine is.

I'm sure I've heard somewhere mentioned about a silencing valve for an exhaust, which allows you to reduce the noise at the flick of a switch??? Would certainly be helpful to keep the noise down from the missus, I mean around the missus;) and might not get as many complaints from the neighbours...any ideas?

True. But unless you're running a single turbo there's no point getting a 4" over a 3". There's probably not even any improvement over the standard 2.5" diametre if you're on stock turbos.

Both Leon Green and Paul Whiffin still use the 3" Veilside Ti afaik.. so tbh even they dont see the need for larger systems and they're both running silly bhp.

But if you want the BEST, I would go for something like the HKS Ti Carbon.

Guest Terry S
Both Leon Green and Paul Whiffin still use the 3" Veilside Ti afaik.. so tbh even they dont see the need for larger systems and they're both running silly bhp.

But if you want the BEST, I would go for something like the HKS Ti Carbon.

Can say for Paul but IIRC Leon took his off as he said he hated the noise, that it made the car sound tinny

When I raced him the day he ran a 10.0 I'm pretty sure it was still on, because I remember commenting to him about it and his wheels... and trust me it sounded far from 'tinny'.

So imho as far as most people are concerned on this forum it makes no real world difference. Obviously if you want to squeeze as much power as possible you want the best flowing exhaust, so 4" with decent piping would be the prefered option.

Guest Terry S
Indeed, thought about tracking it in the Time Attack series Terry? Would be nice to see another properly setup car out there competing in the club class.

Thanks Markie.

Bobbeh I think about lots of things ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, how can I double check mine has something wrong with the back box?

Do you just take it off and give it a shake, and if something is loose is nacked?

Just sounds like its leaking somewhere, but there is no leaks. I had been putting some flames out of it and the car popping the other week.

Just want to be totally sure before I buy a replacement.